Marriage in the Sea Org

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
A thread to chat about how marriage works (or doesn't work) inside the Sea Org.

Enthetan

One thing which I had been thinking about, was the frequency of divorce (and otherwise ending marriage arrangements) in the SO, and the seeming casualness with which marriages are done and ended.

I had a thought today: in Sea Org marriages, conducted using a Scn ceremony, does the Chaplain even file the marriage certificate, and what would be the effect on the marriage if he didn't?

I decided to look it up.

It seems that, in California at least, failure to file the marriage certificate with the county clerk does NOT invalidate the marriage. So I'm now wondering, does the chaplain bother to go to the county courthouse to file the certificate? Or does he just keep it in a file drawer?

In the latter case, a "divorce", whenever the SO finds it desirable, would be accomplished by simply destroying the marriage certificate, and denying it ever existed.

Chuck J.

"Austere Religious Scholar"
I saw a few interesting stories, but I bet some long-time S.O. members have some doozies, with seeing the revolving spouse situations.

My own personal brush with SO marriage: Had a couple female staff members in INCOMM TRY to hook me up with a 16 year old. I was 25 at the time. The girl's mother signed off on it. Almost literally, lol.
(this girl and I had been hanging out a bit everyday at lunch for a few days. I think we were the two most 'non-SO' type of people in the place, so we gravitated towards each other)
I saw Mom look at me across the room chatting with her daughter, nod her head to the SSO. As in a, "He'll do." Later I put it together that it was an..... "audition?" "Job interview?" "Meat inspection?"

When I realized what the sitch was, I was creeped out. Even got a sales talk by the SSO. "Ah, come on Chuck, yeah she's only 16 but you guys are cute together."

Nah, thanks! but no thanks.

Last edited:

Enthetan

When I realized what the sitch was, I was creeped out. Even got a sales talk by the SSO. "Ah, come on Chuck, yeah she's only 16 but you guys are cute together."
I'm curious as to why they were so eager to get her married at 16?

Was she a non-citizen, needing a citizen husband to get a visa? (I recall there was a lot of that at one point)

Were they concerned she would go "out 2D" if they didn't find a guy for her soon?

Do you have a theory?

Chuck J.

Was she a non-citizen, needing a citizen husband to get a visa? (I recall there was a lot of that at one point)

Were they concerned she would go "out 2D" if they didn't find a guy for her soon?

Do you have a theory?
No, they were US citizens.
All I remember is this girl and her Mother were around for a few weeks. Then they were gone. I think her Mom was a longtime $cn. and wanted to put the daughter in the SO, particularly in INCOMM. If I ever knew the facts re: them, I've forgotten.

I think the SSO wanted to get us hooked up so I would stay and the daughter would stay. Two birds.....one stone.

Why there was no pitch to have both of them there I do not know. Maybe there was? At that time it was a thing to have generational families in. More bodies. This was before the Mighty Midget's no kids dictum.

Even after graduating to an actual position, i.e. not being an expeditor, I used to do tons of un-related shit. One was picking new staff members at the airport. I seemed to be the guy for that. One time I went to pick up a family with 8 kids !

Truth is I LOVED getting out of the org and driving around Los Angeles, lol.

Last edited:

Chuck J.

Do you have a theory?

Yes there was!
I drove more than one unlucky German to the airport to go to Vancouver, BC overnight because he couldn't get a 2d in the previous year and his visa ran out. That particular guy was shipped back to Hamburg after he got back to LA. FAIL! lol. I don't know what happened to the other guys.

We had quite a contingent of Germans at one point in time.

Karen#1

David Miscavige ordered that no RTC staff member could be married to a Sea Org member in a lower org than RTC.
This made the pool of prospects slim, because many in RTC were already married.

Remember, Miscavige deemed masturbation a crime and read out confessed masturbations to the entire crew to mock and humiliate the confessor.

5.jpg

Enthetan

All I remember is this girl and her Mother were around for a few weeks. Then they were gone. I think her Mom was a longtime $cn. and wanted to put the daughter in the SO, particularly in INCOMM. If I ever knew the facts re: them, I've forgotten.
One guess is that if the girl was married, she wouldn't need a guardian, and would be a legal adult.

Yes there was!
I drove more than one unlucky German to the airport to go to Vancouver, BC overnight because he couldn't get a 2d in the previous year and his visa ran out. That particular guy was shipped back to Hamburg after he got back to LA. FAIL! lol. I don't know what happened to the other guys.

We had quite a contingent of Germans at one point in time.
Yes, I recall reading that because of this, Bruce Hines was rushed through OT 6, as he was one of only two Solo NOTs auditors who spoke fluent German.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
I was not married in the SO...

.... but I came close! :bleh:

At that time my significant other had defected. We lost touch entirely, that family wanted to have nothing to do with me (well duh! I was a cult enforcer! :eyeroll:) I felt betrayed that this person defected without telling me - at that point I was ready to quit and if I was told about the escape plan, we would have fled together. But as that did not happen, I was bitter. Previously I felt that there was trust between the two of us... and obviously there was no such thing. :ohmy:

I was so bitter that this made me scrap my plans to leave and probably prolonged my time in Scientology for over a year or so.

Anyway, back to the marriage plan story!

So there I was, single and bitter and some of our guys started suggesting that I marry another person that was single. The sales pitch was: "With your posts, you will surely get a small room for yourselves and you won't have to bother with this bunkbed barracks-shoobang thing anymore".

My initial thought was: "Wow, this makes sense. Obviously there’s not gonna be any love or sex or children. But a real room... wow. Great thing this marriage idea!"
And then came the bright flash: “What the hell am I thinking? This is insane!” :duh: :nooo: :screwy:

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

At that time my significant other had defected. We lost touch entirely, that family wanted to have nothing to do with me (well duh! I was a cult enforcer!). I felt betrayed that this person defected without telling me - at that point I was ready to quit and if I was told we would have fled together. But as that did not happen, I was bitter. Previously I felt that there was trust between the two of us... and obviously there was no such thing. :ohmy:

I was so bitter that this made me scrap my plans to leave and probably prolonged my time in Scientology for over a year or so.

So there I was, single and bitter and some of our guys started suggesting that I marry another person that was single. The sales pitch was: "With your posts, you will surely get a small room for yourselves and you won't have to bother with this bunkbed barracks-shoobang thing anymore".

My initial thought was: "Wow, this makes sense. Obviously there’s not gonna be any love or sex or children. But a real room... wow. Great thing this marriage idea!"
And then came the bright flash: “What the hell am I thinking? This is insane!” :duh: :nooo: :screwy:
I was thinking about Scn and the dynamics yesterday. Everything you do should be checked against what's the best for all eight dynamics, that's what is ethical.

However the first dynamic is about selfishness, individuation, the second dynamic is about sex and family both evil traps created by psyches, group think and PTSness is what you get by being a member of a group, mankind is aberrated, MEST is bad etc etc. You don't matter, you should tell ethics as soon as your 2d shows any sign of imperfection, have no allegiance to any group apart from the SO, certainly not to any members who you should shout at constantly with tone 40, mankind needs to be tamed through the cult and MEST is evil nasty stuff, you should refuse it and send lots of it to Ron, and now I suppose to the COB, but only if it's upstat enough.

My brain hurts just trying to understand how I managed to get through even one day of this mindfuck.

Enthetan

I was actually seriously thinking of getting married, just to be able to have a room with just one other person.

Most of the time I was too tired to even think of sex, but a ROOM, ah, that was something.

Karakorum

I was actually seriously thinking of getting married, just to be able to have a room with just one other person.

Most of the time I was too tired to even think of sex, but a ROOM, ah, that was something.
EXACTLY! THIS! I HAD THE EXACT SAME THOUGHT PATTERN!

Thanks for your post. I honestly was thinking it was just me and the guys at Inv that were screw balls in some way. Guess it was a mental plague in the SO:
"A room! A room! The 8 dynamics for a room!"

Last edited:

Enthetan

EXACTLY! THIS! I HAD THE EXACT SAME THOUGHT PATTERN!

Thanks for your post. I honestly was thinking it was just me and the guys at Inv that were screw balls in some way. Guess it was a mental plague in the SO. "Oh my god a room!"
No, it was not just you. It was the situational madness of the sea org.

When one lives in an insane environment for too long, insanity starts to appear normal.

He-man

Hero extraordinary

At that time my significant other had defected. We lost touch entirely, that family wanted to have nothing to do with me (well duh! I was a cult enforcer! :eyeroll:) I felt betrayed that this person defected without telling me - at that point I was ready to quit and if I was told about the escape plan, we would have fled together. But as that did not happen, I was bitter. Previously I felt that there was trust between the two of us... and obviously there was no such thing. :ohmy:

In the EPF I shared a room with 5 or 7 other fellas, can't reemember if we were 6 or 8 to a room anymore, and we had all our stuff in bags up in the attic... Oh I started dreaming of a room for meself right then and there. Such madness!

When I was in, there was a reno project to clean up the Corona and they were fixing some of the worse problems in there, I was always hoping to get into a room with no mold, repaired windows(mine had newspapers and blankets to cover the areas where the glass was b roken) and with radiators working.

Some of me friends were married, They were the "lucky" ones I suppose.

I still can't understand how I thought I was in an elite organisation...

La La Lou Lou

In the EPF I shared a room with 5 or 7 other fellas, can't reemember if we were 6 or 8 to a room anymore, and we had all our stuff in bags up in the attic... Oh I started dreaming of a room for meself right then and there. Such madness!

When I was in, there was a reno project to clean up the Corona and they were fixing some of the worse problems in there, I was always hoping to get into a room with no mold, repaired windows(mine had newspapers and blankets to cover the areas where the glass was b roken) and with radiators working.

Some of me friends were married, They were the "lucky" ones I suppose.

I still can't understand how I thought I was in an elite organisation...
In the UK the couples with kids got child allowance from the government. They were the ones that could afford ready made cigarettes the rest of us had to make our own, if we could afford cigarette papers, recycling the dog-ends smoked by the ones with kids they could even get luxuries like coffee and cake from the Saint Hill canteen and I believe they had soap and toothpaste too, possibly even sanitary products for ladies. The elite in the UK were never really well off, and 50 dollars a week was just a dream.

He-man

Hero extraordinary
In the UK the couples with kids got child allowance from the government. They were the ones that could afford ready made cigarettes the rest of us had to make our own, if we could afford cigarette papers, recycling the dog-ends smoked by the ones with kids they could even get luxuries like coffee and cake from the Saint Hill canteen and I believe they had soap and toothpaste too, possibly even sanitary products for ladies. The elite in the UK were never really well off, and 50 dollars a week was just a dream.
$50! I'd count meself rich if I ever had that much in the Sea Org! :bleh:

I never considered getting married in the Sea Org though. I was young, way too "on purpose" for any ones good and super anxious over me own sexuality to even dare chat a girl up.

Didn't smoke, didn't need to buy from the cantine, like all true hard cores I only raided it for coffee, I got me biscuits from Netto.

Karakorum

Didn't smoke, didn't need to buy from the cantine, like all true hard cores I only raided it for coffee, I got me biscuits from Netto.
I stopped smoking on staff. I stopped drinking coffee in the SO, never really had a use for biscuits.

Only "luxury" stuff I went for were slim jims.

I stopped smoking on staff. I stopped drinking coffee in the SO, never really had a use for biscuits.

Only "luxury" stuff I went for were slim jims.
How did you stay awake for those 15 hour days? I'd have thought coffee would have been a necessity among SO members...