Marriage in the Sea Org

Karakorum

How did you stay awake for those 15 hour days? I'd have thought coffee would have been a necessity among SO members...
Coffee never really kept me awake. Or rather it would get me awake for 30-40 minutes and afterwards you would get even more sleepy than you were before. Drinking coffee pretty much all the time to avoid the slump? Some people did that, but you would find yourself doing the famous FOLO two-step (aka sprinting as fast as possible to the toilet and sprinting back).

Facing long term fatigue you were better off eating something sweet and energetic like a candy bar. The problem was low energy more than just being sleepy. When high-calories snacks couldn't be done, the solution was sipping water with sugar.

La La Lou Lou

How did you stay awake for those 15 hour days? I'd have thought coffee would have been a necessity among SO members...
I will never forget the coffee in FOLOEU, a huge boiler full of coffee so thick you could stand a spoon in it, that was needed to keep staff and missionairs awake through the night, it worked too especially with cigarettes, though in Denmark they were very expensive.

stratty

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I will never forget the coffee in FOLOEU, a huge boiler full of coffee so thick you could stand a spoon in it, that was needed to keep staff and missionairs awake through the night, it worked too especially with cigarettes, though in Denmark they were very expensive.
Whenever I think of coffee and scientology I'm reminded of the foul-tasting muck served up in David Gaiman's shack at Saint Hill. To make matters worse the place stank of the vitamins he sold there. I think they sold sandwiches too but I probably couldn't afford to buy one anyway.

Lurker5

Thought I'd add in a story. A few years back, 2016 or maybe 2017, I managed a vacation rental, and had a booking for a bridal party, by the mom of the groom, her son, who was to be there also. They expected a group of friends for the party, mostly women friends. No one showed up. The wedding took place the next day, a weekday. I found the bride to be very strange, but what the hey, ya know. I felt bad that the groom's mom spent all that money and not one of their friends showed up. It was a big house, lots of parking. The next morning they were breakfasting on back deck before leaving. I went up to check on their stay, was it good, as expected? The bride was in dress whites of the sea org. Still a tight assed cold bitch IMHO. The mom was distressed beyond belief - the groom was meek and quiet - subdued - and all of a sudden I GOT IT. The sea org outfit told me EVERYTHING. Poor mom and groom, ya know. F()CK.

La La Lou Lou

Whenever I think of coffee and scientology I'm reminded of the foul-tasting muck served up in David Gaiman's shack at Saint Hill. To make matters worse the place stank of the vitamins he sold there. I think they sold sandwiches too but I probably couldn't afford to buy one anyway.
Brewer's yeast.

He-man

Hero extraordinary
The only good thing you could get in the Sea Org was whatever was made for the public.

I will freely admit to raiding a certain, ah, storage area in Nordland for coffee, biscuits and cheese.

Best part of being on Type 3 watches were getting monies for buying food from the local supermarket to do your own grocery shopping.

A truly elite organisation.

La La Lou Lou

The only good thing you could get in the Sea Org was whatever was made for the public.

I will freely admit to raiding a certain, ah, storage area in Nordland for coffee, biscuits and cheese.

Best part of being on Type 3 watches were getting monies for buying food from the local supermarket to do your own grocery shopping.

A truly elite organisation.
Where was the storage area? Reading your post an image popped into my head, the back stairs with the walls painted to look like marble covered in yellow varnish, the door opened into the archway of the entrance to Wester brogade. I think those stairs took you up to the attic where staff's belongings were stored.

He-man

Hero extraordinary
Where was the storage area? Reading your post an image popped into my head, the back stairs with the walls painted to look like marble covered in yellow varnish, the door opened into the archway of the entrance to Wester brogade. I think those stairs took you up to the attic where staff's belongings were stored.
Don't remember exactly where it was anymore to be honest, I think it was either between the officers mess hall and the kitchen or someplace around there. Or it was in the basement area on that side. As I remember it.

I have more clear pictures of the layout in Corona, where we lived.

La La Lou Lou

Don't remember exactly where it was anymore to be honest, I think it was either between the officers mess hall and the kitchen or someplace around there. Or it was in the basement area on that side. As I remember it.

I have more clear pictures of the layout in Corona, where we lived.
Fair enough, I never did go to Corona. What an unfortunate name.

marra

An excerpt from David Gaiman's SP Declare in 1983:

"For years Gaiman in partnership with Herbie Parkhouse ran the Saint Hill canteen right on the Org lines of AOSHUK, Saint Hill Foundation, FOLO UK, GO WW and GO UK. <snip> Prices in the Gaiman/Parkhouse canteen were highly inflated and alternative facilities at Saint Hill were suppressed out of existence. In actuality the pay of staff was cleverly channelled right into Gaiman's and Parkhouse's back pocket instead of the canteen operation being run for the benefit of staff and public by the org."

Karakorum

Prices in the Gaiman/Parkhouse canteen were highly inflated and alternative facilities at Saint Hill were suppressed out of existence.
How is that diff from any other canteen?