Mark V E-Meter - Power Supply Query

ex-num

The moon is made of cheese
Hi,

I've recently come into possession of an old Mark V e-Meter - I've replaced the NiCad's with new ones and all appears to be working fine, though I am not 100% confident on applying 240v AC to this thing without some assurance that the input is rated to this.

The circuitry inside this thing is very much home-made and looks like anyone could have built one from their local electronics store at the time if they'd had the circuit diagram.

Quite looking forward to playing around with this, then sticking it on a shelf somewhere to gather dust...

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
If it's an American-made Mark-V, designed for 120V, then I would hesitate plugging it into 240V

TheSneakster

The Mark V battery power supply is a stack of 6 1.2V NiCad cells with a tap between the lowest two cells. This gives 7.2 Volts across the entire stack and 1.2 volts at the tap (in case you have to replace the battery pack).

I'm curious why you didn't just use one of those smallish wall adapters for travelers that converts 220V to 110V, since that is what this meter requires, right ?

Last edited:

ex-num

The Mark V battery power supply is a stack of 6 1.2V NiCad cells with a tap between the lowest two cells. This gives 7.2 Volts across the entire stack and 1.2 volts at the tap (in case you have to replace the battery pack).

I'm curious why you didn't just use one of those smallish wall adapters for travelers that converts 220V to 110V, since that is what this meter requires, right ?
I replaced the battery pack - all good there. My query was if the unit would accept 240v, it appears from the original E-Meter book this is okay. I'll find out tomorrow when I change out the power connecter for a more modern interface

ex-num

I replaced the battery pack - all good there. My query was if the unit would accept 240v, it appears from the original E-Meter book this is okay. I'll find out tomorrow when I change out the power connecter for a more modern interface
All working fine with the new battery pack and charger connector with 240v. :)