Man Is NOT “Basically Good”

Irayam

I like American Indians. But you are aware that many of them smoke mushrooms, don't you?
It depends, my friend. It is being said that minds might not be that well-functioning on mushrooms.
Smoking magic mushrooms is not the right technique to get psychedelic effects. You have to ingest them.
Maybe that's why their minds didn't work well afterwards.:)

On the other hand, some people say that the mind is incredibly sharp after ingesting magic mushrooms. I can't say this myself because I have never ingested magic mushrooms. However, with other psychedelics such as LSD, mescaline or other related products, I have had some interesting experiences. On the other hand, it is clear that one functions in a rather strange way in the "real" world during these trips and that driving a vehicle or operating dangerous machinery is totally inadvisable.

But all this is just a memory, because during my last trip, 25 years ago, I promised not to use any more psychedelics other than a little cannabis from time to time.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Man is basically not good
Much depends on your definition of "good".

Different cultures define good in different ways. When you look at it, what makes different cultures is different groups' having different ideas of what constitutes virtue, and what is evil.

Compare and contrast Scientology vs the real world. In Scientology it would be "good" to harm an "SP", if it benefits org stats.

SuperstarNeilC

The definition of “good“ would be what the Western world deems good and upstanding. - A happy, stable, clean, competent individual.

A main tenet of Scientology is that “man is basically good” - It’s embedded in the subject. - We all believed it.

But the Navajo says man is basically NOT good. - Was Ron lying to us, to somehow “throw us off the scent.” ?

If the Navajo is right, then it causes the whole of Scio to topple like a house of cards. - If Ron can’t even get that right, it throws EVERYTHING he says into doubt.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
The definition of “good“ would be what the Western world deems good and upstanding. - A happy, stable, clean, competent individual.

A main tenet of Scientology is that “man is basically good” - It’s embedded in the subject. - We all believed it.

But the Navajo says man is basically NOT good. - Was Ron lying to us, to somehow “throw us off the scent.” ?

If the Navajo is right, then it causes the whole of Scio to topple like a house of cards. - If Ron can’t even get that right, it throws EVERYTHING he says into doubt.
There's also the definition of "basically".

Does saying “man is basically good” mean that ALL people are good, or just that MOST people are good?

I would argue that most people are "good enough", in the sense of not needing a policeman looking over their shoulders to dissuade them from killing and eating their neighbors.

Having a viable civilization depends on most people being "good enough", in the sense that things would collapse otherwise, especially if you got to the point where you could not depend on the police themselves to be "good enough". A society depends on making sure that each generation is made "good enough", and on making sure that those who are not "acceptably good" are removed from society.

Bill

I beg to differ. I would say that nothing in Scientology is based on "man is basically good". Not the ethics "tech", not auditing, not sec checks, nothing. Look at what people have to go through to do the OT levels. No, in Scientology, the assumption is "man is basically very evil".

Nosy_Creature

Smoking magic mushrooms is not the right technique to get psychedelic effects. You have to ingest them.
Maybe that's why their minds didn't work well afterwards.:)

On the other hand, some people say that the mind is incredibly sharp after ingesting magic mushrooms. I can't say this myself because I have never ingested magic mushrooms. However, with other psychedelics such as LSD, mescaline or other related products, I have had some interesting experiences. On the other hand, it is clear that one functions in a rather strange way in the "real" world during these trips and that driving a vehicle or operating dangerous machinery is totally inadvisable.

But all this is just a memory, because during my last trip, 25 years ago, I promised not to use any more psychedelics other than a little cannabis from time to time.
I admit, I am no expert on mushrooms. I do like grilled portobello mushrooms.

But Indians often were smoking something. Whatever it was. I doubt that it makes you see better if someone is good or not.

Nosy_Creature

If people have a bad conscience after they did something wrong, is an indicator that they are basically good, me thinks. If they have no bad conscience after they did something bad, this is another story.

freethinker

Controversial
Interesting. But is righteous "good"? Did you ask yourself if you are basically good? What is your answer?
My answer is I work towards it all the time. You should look up righteous. I wouldn't say I was righteous but I work toward it. There are religions that believe that there are a numbers of life cycles that you have until you achieve such a state. they believe that they can get there faster by being as evil as they possibly can.

Righteous:

acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous:a righteous and godly person.

Irayam

I admit, I am no expert on mushrooms. I do like grilled portobello mushrooms.

But Indians often were smoking something. Whatever it was. I doubt that it makes you see better if someone is good or not.

They smoked tobacco. They had the good idea to pass this habit to the white man but unfortunately it did not help them in their fight against the invader because tobacco kills too slowly.