Lost Legacy -- A science fiction story by Heinlein about training to be OT

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
I was reading an old science fiction book by Robert Heinlein, "Assignment in Eternity", which is a collection of short stories. Heinlein and LRH were old buddies from before WW2.

One of the stories, "Lost Legacy", about a group of people who discover they can train themselves into psychic abilities. They are drawn into making a journey to Mount Shasta (which people who did OT3 may remember), and up on top of the mountain they meet up with a group of people who have been working on the technology of perfecting psychic abilities (what Scientologists would call OT). It turns out that the knowledge had been implanted in the mountaintop be a member of an ancient and destroyed civilization.

Reading through it, I was thinking that Heinlein had been talking to LRH and scribbled down some of his ideas in fiction form.

Then I looked at the copyright: 1941.

I'm now thinking that LRH's OT ravings may have come from Heinlein's story.

Here's the story

Karakorum

Broke ranks over 10 years ago, never looked back
I was reading an old science fiction book by Robert Heinlein, "Assignment in Eternity", which is a collection of short stories. Heinlein and LRH were old buddies from before WW2.

One of the stories, "Lost Legacy", about a group of people who discover they can train themselves into psychic abilities. They are drawn into making a journey to Mount Shasta (which people who did OT3 may remember), and up on top of the mountain they meet up with a group of people who have been working on the technology of perfecting psychic abilities (what Scientologists would call OT). It turns out that the knowledge had been implanted in the mountaintop be a member of an ancient and destroyed civilization.

Reading through it, I was thinking that Heinlein had been talking to LRH and scribbled down some of his ideas in fiction form.

Then I looked at the copyright: 1941.

I'm now thinking that LRH's OT ravings may have come from Heinlein's story.

Here's the story

I wouldn't be surprised. Hubbard knew Heinlein and these guys all read one another books and stories and.

Also, I just keep finding more and more things that Hubbard plagiarized or at best "creatively adapted" from others. Whenever I think something was original Hubbard, it turns out its borrowed from someone.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Also, I just keep finding more and more things that Hubbard plagiarized or at best "creatively adapted" from others. Whenever I think something was original Hubbard, it turns out its borrowed from someone.
That was my thought, that "OT" was plagiarized from Heinlein.