Jon Atack, family & friends

SuperstarNeilC

Monia and Spike tackle the Star Trek: Voyager episode, "Flesh and Blood," where the holographic doctor is swayed into joining a group of holographs who are fighting for their freedom - but are they on the level, or is their leader a classic abusive cult leader? with comparisons from Scientology to episodes from the classic series, this deep dive should prove a fun ride for geeks - and even non-geeks - of all stripes.

To quote Captain Janeway: "they don't trust us, we don't trust them. Coffee, black."

SuperstarNeilC

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - the Cutie Map, or, a dystoponyan NightMARE

Neither of us had watched My Little Pony before, so we were pleasantly surprised, charmed, and delighted! This episode of the classic children's show provides a well-written and clever depiction of a dystopia (or dysto-pony-a), with an important lesson not only for the kiddos, but for all of us. And, of course, we do a bit of comparing with our favorite abusive high-control authoritarian group, Scientology, also known as the Cult That El Ron Wrote.

notes: although we're examining a kids' show, this is an adult discussion between two grown women who still enjoy watching cartoons, and so it is NOT intended for children.

Last edited:

SuperstarNeilC

General Flynn’s attempt to command God

Joe talks about General Flynn's recent attempt to force God to do his bidding as a 'name it and claim it' Christian. A wide-ranging discussion about the difference between prayer as request or as self-interested magical invocation. Law of Attraction, the I Am movement, Christian Science, Nichiren Shosu, Ganesh worshippers, and Scientologists with their 'postulates' all try to control reality through their wishes.

With side routes into Shakespeare's Tempest, Authoritarianism, Gad Saad's views on honey badgers, and even the US Civil War.

Isaiah 45:11 – Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.

Isaiah 64:8 - But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.