Is it really possible to study Scientology and ignore the people who were damaged by it?

Karen#1

Excerpt:

Chris Shelton continues his look into a new academic volume, an issue of the journal Implicit Religion dedicated to Scientology. Here’s his previous piece.

Today we are examining the second article of the recent special edition of Implicit Religion, this one penned by Dr. Bernard Doherty of Charles Stuart University in Australia. He is a religious studies scholar who has published on Christianity and whose interests (according to the university website) are “wide-ranging and include New Religious Movements, Patristics, Australian religious history, Church and State issues, religion and the media.” I’ll note as I did in my article last week that this man has no qualifications or apparent understanding of psychology or even sociology, and thus is approaching the analysis and criticism of Scientology purely from a religious studies perspective.~~~READ MORE

Pepin

I think so. The evil oppressors was not Scientology, but Scientologists with an unethical agenda.
I noticed on day 1 that the orgs functioned like something that is described as bad in one of Hubbards books.

guanoloco

As-Wased
When I read this headline my initial reaction was "yeah...that's what I did and that's what any Scientologists does - they study Scientology while ignoring the people who are being damaged all around them".

I was aware of it but rationalized it...thinking there must be more to the story that I didn't know about...trusting in the organization and those who ran it. When I was told someone was an enemy of Scientology I immediately assumed they were a Black Hat.

It wasn't until the cross hairs were on me that I was able to "come to my senses". It also had to be a clear cut good/bad thing for me to see it.

Scientology was wrong and clearly on the wrong side...covered that up...served lip-service to its own policies and was as false as anything I've ever experienced. Had that not happened...who knows...I might still be a Scientologist. Hopefully not because the cracks were widening.

HelluvaHoax!

When I read this headline my initial reaction was "yeah...that's what I did and that's what any Scientologists does - they study Scientology while ignoring the people who are being damaged all around them".

I was aware of it but rationalized it...thinking there must be more to the story that I didn't know about...trusting in the organization and those who ran it. When I was told someone was an enemy of Scientology I immediately assumed they were a Black Hat.

It wasn't until the cross hairs were on me that I was able to "come to my senses". It also had to be a clear cut good/bad thing for me to see it.

Scientology was wrong and clearly on the wrong side...covered that up...served lip-service to its own policies and was as false as anything I've ever experienced. Had that not happened...who knows...I might still be a Scientologist. Hopefully not because the cracks were widening.

After reading your insightful post, another way of thinking about it occurred to me:

SCIENTOLOGISTS EXCLUSIVELY STUDY SCIENTOLOGY THEORY

EX-SCIENTOLOGISTS AND WHISTLEBLOWERS
EXCLUSIVELY STUDY SCIENTOLOGY
PRACTICAL

The above scholarly endeavors are in fact two (2) entirely different subjects! Once Scientologists complete the theory portion of Scientology they move into the practical course room.

Within the practical division, 98% of Scientologists eventually blow because of their groundbreaking discovery that Hubbard's theory is thoroughly—impractical.

Last edited:

Karakorum

That's exactly the point of a lot of scientology doctrines. "We help the able", "sympathy is low on the tone scale", "the supreme test of a thetan is his ability to make things go right", "better dead than incapable".

Damaged people are considered evil because they are useless or of little use. Whatever is wrong with them it must be because they pulled it in or failed to apply scn tech in a standard correct manner.

Scientology will suck you dry of money, work, time, love and whatever else it can take. Then, after you are spent and have nothing more to give, they will throw you out like a piece of trash.