I'm Not A Scientologist But

Xenu Xenu Xenu

I don't know how old this editorial is. I just find it amusing. I found it in that prize winning rag known as FREEDOM. Their investigative reporting knows no fear or favour. They sure know how to expose those wrong doers and their evil deeds. Woodward and Bernstein? Who are they?

I’m not a Scientologist, but given my job as the editor of Freedom, which reflects the values of the Church and the ideals it holds dear, I’m doing my best to parse the philosophy of its Founder L. Ron Hubbard. That’s a work in progress, but there’s one core tenet I get—the simple idea that what is true is what is true for you.

Words of Wisdom, Editorial | Freedom Magazine

It is such a joke but people here know that as well if not better than I. How could it not be a joke? This is FREEDOM MAGAZINE after all.

I don't care who works for this magazine these days or what their life story is. The fact is that this magazine is the same as it always was and always will be. The fact that they themselves would start a paragraph with the well worn, "I'm not a Scientologist but...", is a laugh and shows a lack of self-awareness perhaps.

Veda

I don't know how old this editorial is. I just find it amusing. I found it in that prize winning rag known as FREEDOM. Their investigative reporting knows no fear or favour. They sure know how to expose those wrong doers and their evil deeds. Woodward and Bernstein? Who are they?

I’m not a Scientologist, but given my job as the editor of Freedom, which reflects the values of the Church and the ideals it holds dear, I’m doing my best to parse the philosophy of its Founder L. Ron Hubbard. That’s a work in progress, but there’s one core tenet I get—the simple idea that what is true is what is true for you.

Words of Wisdom, Editorial | Freedom Magazine

It is such a joke but people here know that as well if not better than I. How could it not be a joke? This is FREEDOM MAGAZINE after all.

I don't care who works for this magazine these days or what their life story is. The fact is that this magazine is the same as it always was and always will be. The fact that they themselves would start a paragraph with the well worn, "I'm not a Scientologist but...", is a laugh and shows a lack of self-awareness perhaps.
Two questions for the "not a Scientologist" editor, "What did they have you sign?" and "How much are they paying you?"

It's telling that Miscavige would not trust one of his minions to be the editor of Freedom magazine.

Perhaps he remembers that Robert Vaughn Young, who later became a critic of Scientology, was once the editor.

I wonder who the other prior editors were. Originally, Freedom was a flimsy, folded, on a single sheet, newspaper. It was started after Hubbard gave instructions to use "human rights," and the idea of "psychiatric death camps" as PR gimmicks.

As I recall, the first issue of Freedom had an article, titled NO INSANITY, prominently placed above the fold, specifically to be shown to Thomas Szasz, author of the book The Myth of Mental Illness.

What an utterly duplicitous beginning.

From Ron's Journal '68:
____________________________Begin quote_____________________________​

...And the general line of attack is along the line of human rights.

Now I'll give you a clue how this is handled, somebody comes up to you, he's a hostile person, he says "na na na Scientology," and you say "Why are you against human rights?!" and, then, if you know anything about human rights like the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, United Nations, that sort of thing, you know something about the subject, you just follow it straight up, total attack, in other words you don't defend Scientology, you just simply attack along this line of human rights...

...Now actually what will happen, what will happen, really, is each time Scientology is attacked, we will build into society, if all of you do this, we'll build into society an actual stimulus-response mechanism, whereas an attack on Scientology is actually an attack on human rights...

_________________________End quote___________________________

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
we'll build into society an actual stimulus-response mechanism, whereas an attack on Scientology is actually an attack on human rights...
2021 version: we've built into society an actual stimulus-response mechanism, whereas Scientology is actually an attack on human rights...

Type4_PTS

<SNIP>
Perhaps he remembers that Robert Vaughn Young, who later became a critic of Scientology, was once the editor.

I wonder who the other prior editors were. Originally, Freedom was a flimsy, folded, on a single sheet, newspaper. It was started after Hubbard gave instructions to use "human rights," and the idea of "psychiatric death camps" as PR gimmicks.

<snip>

WARNING: CULT WEB SITE - PROCEED WITH CAUTION - OR NOT AT ALL. :ohmy:

Excerpt:

Tom Whittle, Senior Editor of Freedom Magazine commented, “Repressive governments only come to power when the population is kept ignorant and uninformed. Through our publication, and through the annual Human Rights Leadership Awards, Freedom Magazine is doing everything possible internationally to expose abuses of human rights and to support the teaching of those same rights.”

I didn't know him well but met Tom back in the late '80s when I was working at Social Coordination and his wife (Kit Whittle) was on staff there.

He seemed like a nice enough guy, and like most of the rest of us was working to save this sector of the universe. :coolwink: