I left Scientology in 1975 for one overlooked, but important, reason

See, I was a Scientologist from 1966 until 1975. I was in the S.O. at the old 8th street Celeb Centre ( before Franklin Manor )

Anyway, every year they would have a big gala event ( of course ) but the thing was............

NOT ONCE, in the entire time I was in Scientology, did L. Ron Hubbard make one appearance, let alone, visit, Los Angeles. That made no sense to me, so I left.

I asked many a Scn about this, and I always got a cop out answer. Shit, if he was so damn OT, why can't he come and visit his flock, once in a while? it's not like L.A,
was some podunk outpost. So, because of this, I deemed that he really didn't give a shit about us, it was all a scam. I was 24 years old.

IN fact, I never found out about the space opera stuff until years later, in 2000 I got on the Alt.religion.Scientology Usenet group did I find out about all that stuff.
I never made clear, I was a grade four release, that's it, and I spent 18 months on the Hubbard Standard Dianetics Course, and audited for 50 hours, as required.
That course was held at the C.O.S at Bonnie Brae and 9th Ave. My course instructor was Bill Franks.

IN those days (late 60s), the books had a collegiate look to them, then one day, wham, everything went full on space opera, I thought it was gawdy as hell.

Anyway, I finally found out the reason why, reading a book 'L.R.Hubbard, Messiah Or Madman" ( or was it the other book, I forget ) that Hubbard didn't come state side because he was being chased by the FBI.

Also, every sunday they have sunday service, with a real llive lecturer. ( NO movies back then, actual people taught courses ).

I got out early and cheap. I think I didn't spent more than $600, all told. My sister stayed in for 30 years, she spent over $100,000 ! ( Two sisters, both Scientlogists and both passed away, so I can talk about it now without worrying about disconnection ).

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!
Reading alt.religion.scientology is what got me hooked on following Scientology. I was amazed and disgusted at the lengths Scientology went to, to try and stop critics and exes from posting there. I thought what they are trying to hide must be really bad to use so much deceitful manipulation, harassment and attempts to destroy people, as a means to try and stop information about Scientology from being revealed.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
I got out early and cheap. I think I didn't spent more than $600, all told. My sister stayed in for 30 years, she spent over $100,000 ! ( Two sisters, both Scientlogists and both passed away, so I can talk about it now without worrying about disconnection ).
Scientology is a strange game. The only way to win is not to play.

Riddick

I clap to no man
See, I was a Scientologist from 1966 until 1975. I was in the S.O. at the old 8th street Celeb Centre ( before Franklin Manor )

Anyway, every year they would have a big gala event ( of course ) but the thing was............

NOT ONCE, in the entire time I was in Scientology, did L. Ron Hubbard make one appearance, let alone, visit, Los Angeles. That made no sense to me, so I left.

I asked many a Scn about this, and I always got a cop out answer. Shit, if he was so damn OT, why can't he come and visit his flock, once in a while? it's not like L.A,
was some podunk outpost. So, because of this, I deemed that he really didn't give a shit about us, it was all a scam. I was 24 years old.

IN fact, I never found out about the space opera stuff until years later, in 2000 I got on the Alt.religion.Scientology Usenet group did I find out about all that stuff.
I never made clear, I was a grade four release, that's it, and I spent 18 months on the Hubbard Standard Dianetics Course, and audited for 50 hours, as required.
That course was held at the C.O.S at Bonnie Brae and 9th Ave. My course instructor was Bill Franks.

IN those days (late 60s), the books had a collegiate look to them, then one day, wham, everything went full on space opera, I thought it was gawdy as hell.

Anyway, I finally found out the reason why, reading a book 'L.R.Hubbard, Messiah Or Madman" ( or was it the other book, I forget ) that Hubbard didn't come state side because he was being chased by the FBI.

Also, every sunday they have sunday service, with a real llive lecturer. ( NO movies back then, actual people taught courses ).

"NOT ONCE, in the entire time I was in Scientology, did L. Ron Hubbard make one appearance, let alone, visit, Los Angeles. That made no sense to me, so I left."

Makes sense and you connected dots There was a poster known as A Face In The Crowd on the ESMB board that mentioned he Hisself, Hubbard, never did face time with people of wealth who wanted to talk with him.

Which is why I say it's all rhetoric, Hubbard only wrote words and recorded them thru lectures and became written words only by transcript, but no actual face time, no Q & A in any of his words.

Here's whats kind of funny, the same can be written of DM, he does no face time except for a few in the inner circle. LOL

LOL

Last edited:

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Which is why I say it's all rhetoric, Hubbard only wrote words and recorded them thru lectures and became written words only by transcript, but no actual face time, no Q & A in any of his words.
Hubbard was a hypnotist. His patter would fall apart if he had to go into an actual two-way discussion.

Riddick

I clap to no man
Hubbard was a hypnotist. His patter would fall apart if he had to go into an actual two-way discussion.
true dat, his patter would fall apart with actual 2 way discussion.

Hubbard never did face time with any of us, so he didn't physically hypnotize us. I guess you can say he hypnotized us thru his books and lectures. Is there such a thing?

mimsey borogrove

Hubbard never did face time with any of us, so he didn't physically hypnotize us. I guess you can say he hypnotized us thru his books and lectures. Is there such a thing?
Yes - low gradient hypnotism is real - guanoloco can wax poetic on the subject with a plethora of posts if you get him started. PM him and turn that boy loose! Mimsey

HelluvaHoax!

Just to set the record straight about Hubbard never having "facetime" with cult members, I can think of one exception. Back in the day Hubbard personally invited movie director and legendary acting coach Milton Katselas to visit him on the floating "flagship". I have heard/read this story multiple times and in fact Milton told me that story personally when we met for the first time.

It was sort of the ultimate "name dropping" moment, LOL.

The story in it's simplest form is that Hubbard sent a personal written message to the noted Hollywood pro that read something like. "Come play with me on my boat, ML, Ron" So Milton went. The narrative then moves to the two of them staying up all night regaling each other with "Hollywood" and other stories, whilst laughing hysterically.

Pretty magical, right? I can't imagine anyone can top that story for pure PR points, supreme status and a jumbo admiration medallion. I mean, my God, the Commodore Source Savior himself flowed power to Milton, so he must have been a "big being" of comparable magnitude. Well that's how the story came across, who could doubt it?

Not so fast. (At this point we hear the sounds of screeching brakes, followed by a sickeningly loud crash---a few decades later........hey, these things take time).

In the last decade of his life (1998-2008) Milton spent precious little time "on-lines" (doing Scientology auditing or training), but instead continued to boom his personal prosperity and life-enjoyment with his elite acting school, financial windfalls, his artwork and pursuit of love/lust with Hollywood hotties.

Milton had what Scientologists lovingly refer to as "ETHICS PROTECTION". Being a famous celebrity in numerous domains (movie director, acting coach legend, wealthy flock member, FSM extraordinaire of other celebrities and their money/buddies, and the close personal friend of our Source & Savior L. Ron Hubbard!) Milton could play loose-and-free with the rules governing other mortal-level Scientologists who were required to "report" for courses, auditing, ethics cycles and other mandatory briefings and projects. Milton had "risen above" the command channel because he was (like Ron) a "big being" whom even Ron "flowed power to". What's not to like?

Fast forward this movie to how Scientology really works. Some readers may recall that there is a dark little secret within the cult known as "THE HUBBARD LAW OF COMMOTION". It generally states that "In Scientology for each and every code, creed, policy and piece of tech---there is an equal and opposite code, creed, policy and piece of tech." It's kinda like NEWTON'S LAW OF MOTION, but more OT.

Ergo, whatever immutable truth exists within Scientology, there is a completely contradictory truth. Milton was about to discover the shocking "surprising ending" to what he always believed about his BFF Ron and other trusted terminals at the theme park known as ScientologyLand.

After 1986, the 2nd most OT and on-source being in the universe (David Miscavige) took over the reins of power and began to fanatically apply all of his mentor's policies quite exactly. Well one of those policies (although completely hidden to all but the chief guru du jour) was that any un-alterable policy/rule could be easily changed any time for any reason if it pleased someone higher on the command channel. Milton never was required to clay demo this thundering fundamental supporting Scientology's 70 year crime wave but he was soon going to get "full conceptual understanding" of how it worked.

We now "jump cut" this movie to the final scenes. Milton has fallen into bad graces with "senior management" because he's wasn't standardly responding to the flood of orders that other Scientologist instantly salute and obey. Milton was not showing up to pay for and do auditing and courses! He was not donating massive suitcases of cash like other ethical planet clearers and super celebrities Cruise, Travolta and lesser messianic moviestars.

And, well-- you just don't disobey or displeasure the all-knowing power-sources uplines!

People were encouraged to "write KRs" on Milton. They obeyed.

People were excited and honored to have the opportunity to "slam ethics in" on Milton and they were more than happy to carry out their mission orders.

Public Scientologists (e.g. Grant Cardone) "took responsiblity" and began fanatically "third partying" and "fair gaming" and "shattering" Milton's thriving "Beverly Hills Playhouse" enterprises and it was game-on! Scientology students, actors, celebrities as well as Milton's employees and personal friends began to QUIT on him (disconnect) in rapid fashion. Milton's entire kingdom began to crumble and soon he died. This is the part where people like Tom Cruise and David Miscavige normally jump on stage and theatrically salute a jumbo image of Hubbard whist barking out their compliance in unison: "DONE SIR!" Scientologists are then supposed to leap to their feet in thunderous applause with tears streaming down their faces. Nobody knows exactly what really happened but that's not the point of large scale agitprop, is it? And Grant Cardone---well he became a legend too, just like Milton. And he now has ethics protection and nobody has written any KR's on him for doing the same exact things that he destroyed Milton Katselas for, namely banging multiple hot looking young actresses. No, Cardone should probably get a jumbo Freedom Medallion for that according to the Hubbard Law of Commotion.

Milton, as mentioned above, never did the clay demo, but he nonetheless learned how Scientology really works. Everyone eventually does, when their little boats navigate the same circles one too many times and crosses over the toxic wake of a bigger Scientology ship ahead of them.

CONCLUSION: So yes, it's true that L. Ron Hubbard never did face-time with lowly public or staff. And yes, it's true that L. Ron Hubbard always did face-time with lowly public or staff. This is what is meant by "total freedom". You are totally free to pick either scenario as you wish, whichever "floats your boat", so to speak.

Last edited:

I would call that 'mesmerizing' rather than 'hypnotizing'

HelluvaHoax!

Listening to him drone on in tapes may have a hypnotic effect.

If you turned on a hypnotic trance while listening to Dr. Hubbard's tapes, may I respectfully suggest that you wind the Wollensak back and check for MUs?

If that doesn't bring you any relief, perhaps you need to re-do the clay demo on using ARC tech (Accelerating Ron Capstan tech).

HelluvaHoax!

Talking about "Capstan Tech", for anyone who isn't familiar. . .

There were thousands of Hubbard taped lectures. Imagine being in a stuffy course room and listening from morning until night to Hubbard pontificate about everything that has happened in the physical universe for quadrillions of years.

And with total certainty! lol

Well, it just got to be way too much to bear. So students discovered and used a little gimmick to SPEED UP the tapes to chipmunk levels---by tearing a piece of paper and rolling it up into a one inch cylinder; and then wrapping that around the "capstan" that controlled the speed the magnetic audiotape was running.

Thinking back on this today, it seems that everyone should have known there was something terribly wrong.

SURE SIGNS THAT SOMETHING IS TERRIBLY
WRONG WITH YOUR CULT

When the cult leader is revealing to you all of
the most fantastic and amazing secrets of the
universe and laying naked before your eager
eyes the very mystery of Life itself. Yet
you feel he is wasting your time and so
you turn the tape speed wayyyyyy up
so that you can finish that shit
and get the hell out of
there ASAP!

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief

Riddick

I clap to no man
Listening to him drone on in tapes may have a hypnotic effect.
oh gawd. And to think I was so starry eyed listening to the tapes for a kernel of truth. I still think it's rhetoric, but whatever. Eventually, listening to hubbard was like anybody got some spare toothpicks to keep my eyes open. Torture, it was, laughing.

Laughing at HH's comments also since your post, so true.

Xenu Xenu Xenu

Funny. Myself and a few other clams used to read Hubbard's books or listen to his tapes whenever we had trouble sleeping. Somehow we knew we were making fun of the great LRH and yet we also adored him as well. When it comes to having it both ways we humans are very resourceful. I still kick myself sometimes to think I could have left the cult if I only took things just a little bit "farther".

As for making fun of Hubbard, we thought we were edgy keyed out Scientologists. I suspect this kind of stuff was going on in almost every Scientology community. Little did we clams know that Hubbard deserved the ridicule and more. Hubbard, I guess eventually became aware of this behaviour and put a stop to all of that with his famous bulletins and PL's. It is one of the true signs that you are in a cult but being cult members we never figured out what was obvious to most people even though we were witnessing such things every day.

I can't go back into the past and fix that. For those that lurk here and have never been in a cult, it is my hope that you read what you can and learn that it could happen to you or someone you know.

Chuck J.

"Austere Religious Scholar"

Just to set the record straight about Hubbard never having "facetime" with cult members, I can think of one exception. Back in the day Hubbard personally invited movie director and legendary acting coach Milton Katselas to visit him on the floating "flagship". I have heard/read this story multiple times and in fact Milton told me that story personally when we met for the first time.

It was sort of the ultimate "name dropping" moment, LOL.

The story in it's simplest form is that Hubbard sent a personal written message to the noted Hollywood pro that read something like. "Come play with me on my boat, ML, Ron" So Milton went. The narrative then moves to the two of them staying up all night regaling each other with "Hollywood" and other stories, whilst laughing hysterically.

Pretty magical, right? I can't imagine anyone can top that story for pure PR points, supreme status and a jumbo admiration medallion. I mean, my God, the Commodore Source Savior himself flowed power to Milton, so he must have been a "big being" of comparable magnitude. Well that's how the story came across, who could doubt it?

Not so fast. (At this point we hear the sounds of screeching brakes, followed by a sickeningly loud crash---a few decades later........hey, these things take time).

In the last decade of his life (1998-2008) Milton spent precious little time "on-lines" (doing Scientology auditing or training), but instead continued to boom his personal prosperity and life-enjoyment with his elite acting school, financial windfalls, his artwork and pursuit of love/lust with Hollywood hotties.

Milton had what Scientologists lovingly refer to as "ETHICS PROTECTION". Being a famous celebrity in numerous domains (movie director, acting coach legend, wealthy flock member, FSM extraordinaire of other celebrities and their money/buddies, and the close personal friend of our Source & Savior L. Ron Hubbard!) Milton could play loose-and-free with the rules governing other mortal-level Scientologists who were required to "report" for courses, auditing, ethics cycles and other mandatory briefings and projects. Milton had "risen above" the command channel because he was (like Ron) a "big being" whom even Ron "flowed power to". What's not to like?

Fast forward this movie to how Scientology really works. Some readers may recall that there is a dark little secret within the cult known as "THE HUBBARD LAW OF COMMOTION". It generally states that "In Scientology for each and every code, creed, policy and piece of tech---there is an equal and opposite code, creed, policy and piece of tech." It's kinda like NEWTON'S LAW OF MOTION, but more OT.

Ergo, whatever immutable truth exists within Scientology, there is a completely contradictory truth. Milton was about to discover the shocking "surprising ending" to what he always believed about his BFF Ron and other trusted terminals at the theme park known as ScientologyLand.

After 1986, the 2nd most OT and on-source being in the universe (David Miscavige) took over the reins of power and began to fanatically apply all of his mentor's policies quite exactly. Well one of those policies (although completely hidden to all but the chief guru du jour) was that any un-alterable policy/rule could be easily changed any time for any reason if it pleased someone higher on the command channel. Milton never was required to clay demo this thundering fundamental supporting Scientology's 70 year crime wave but he was soon going to get "full conceptual understanding" of how it worked.

We now "jump cut" this movie to the final scenes. Milton has fallen into bad graces with "senior management" because he's wasn't standardly responding to the flood of orders that other Scientologist instantly salute and obey. Milton was not showing up to pay for and do auditing and courses! He was not donating massive suitcases of cash like other ethical planet clearers and super celebrities Cruise, Travolta and lesser messianic moviestars.

And, well-- you just don't disobey or displeasure the all-knowing power-sources uplines!

People were encouraged to "write KRs" on Milton. They obeyed.

People were excited and honored to have the opportunity to "slam ethics in" on Milton and they were more than happy to carry out their mission orders.

Public Scientologists (e.g. Grant Cardone) "took responsiblity" and began fanatically "third partying" and "fair gaming" and "shattering" Milton's thriving "Beverly Hills Playhouse" enterprises and it was game-on! Scientology students, actors, celebrities as well as Milton's employees and personal friends began to QUIT on him (disconnect) in rapid fashion. Milton's entire kingdom began to crumble and soon he died. This is the part where people like Tom Cruise and David Miscavige normally jump on stage and theatrically salute a jumbo image of Hubbard whist barking out their compliance in unison: "DONE SIR!" Scientologists are then supposed to leap to their feet in thunderous applause with tears streaming down their faces. Nobody knows exactly what really happened but that's not the point of large scale agitprop, is it? And Grant Cardone---well he became a legend too, just like Milton. And he now has ethics protection and nobody has written any KR's on him for doing the same exact things that he destroyed Milton Katselas for, namely banging multiple hot looking young actresses. No, Cardone should probably get a jumbo Freedom Medallion for that according to the Hubbard Law of Commotion.

Milton, as mentioned above, never did the clay demo, but he nonetheless learned how Scientology really works. Everyone eventually does, when their little boats navigate the same circles one too many times and crosses over the toxic wake of a bigger Scientology ship ahead of them.

CONCLUSION: So yes, it's true that L. Ron Hubbard never did face-time with lowly public or staff. And yes, it's true that L. Ron Hubbard always did face-time with lowly public or staff. This is what is meant by "total freedom". You are totally free to pick either scenario as you wish, whichever "floats your boat", so to speak.

I met the Fatman. ... and I was the VERY DEFINITION of lowly staff, at the time.

HelluvaHoax!

I met the Fatman. ... and I was the VERY DEFINITION of lowly staff, at the time.
That is indeed amazing news!

When you feel it would not be an out-gradient for us, please consider sharing some of the OT powers you saw Ron manifest!

I always wondered if being around him, loyal officers such as yourself frequently saw so many things levitating and other miracles that it just felt "normal".

A close associate of mine was one of Ron's personal stewards and she said that he drank huge amounts of booze all the time. I am wondering if when you met him he appeared drunk or slurred his words. I think you would agree that we should all feel profound gratitude that Ron was willing to sacrifice his own MEST body health in order to do advanced research into the effects of alcohol and other drugs so that all of us could release multiple drug rundowns for all of us to attain Total Freedom (on this planet).

Did Ron ever allow you to become a research assistant where you got to do shots or chug beers with him?

Last edited:

Chuck J.

"Austere Religious Scholar"

That is indeed amazing news!

When you feel it would not be an out-gradient for us, please consider sharing some of the OT powers you saw Ron manifest!

I always wondered if being around him, loyal officers such as yourself frequently saw so many things levitating and other miracles that it just felt "normal".

A close associate of mine was one of Ron's personal stewards and she said that he drank huge amounts of booze all the time. I am wondering if when you met him he appeared drunk or slurred his words. I think you would agree that we should all feel profound gratitude that Ron was willing to sacrifice his own MEST body health in order to do advanced research into the effects of alcohol and other drugs so that all of us could release multiple drug rundowns for all of us to attain Total Freedom (on this planet).

Did Ron ever allow you to become a research assistant where you got to do shots or chug beers with him?

Nope, but I bet that woulda been fun.
As you know, Mankinds' Greatest Friend is quite the bullshitter, so I can only imagine the star-high level of tall tales when he got a few snorts of RonRico in him, lol

Personally, I've never been able to drink rum. I turn into a walking blackout.