Hubbard and the Buddha

Zertel

Did L. Ron Hubbard really believe he had been the Buddha in a past life or was that just another one one his tall tales? If he did believe he was the Buddha, here's a story about how that might have come about.

Years ago I was playing around with a Walter Mitty fantasy. For those unfamiliar with him, Walter is a fictional character in a short story. He's an ordinary guy who likes to play around with fantasies like being a hero or a rock star and so on. One morning while having my morning coffee I was playing around with a little Walter Mitty fantasy for about an hour. It was kind of fun and I continued thinking about it while having breakfast. After breakfast I went out on my back porch and played around with it some more. Things were going really well!

Long story short, about 48 hours later the thing had taken on a life of its own. For every counter to my rock star status in the fantasy my creative imagination was immediately countering and keeping me in my rock star status! A Scientology term came to mind - "freewheeling". I realized I needed to break the cycle and I said "Go Do Some MEST Work!!!" which I did for a few hours which broke the cycle. Phew!

The point regarding Hubbard is did he go into a Walter Mitty fantasy about being the Buddha, freewheel into it for a day or two and then pull himself out firmly believing he had been the Buddha?

Last edited:

Veda

Did L. Ron Hubbard really believe he had been the Buddha in a past life or was that just another one one his tall tales? If he did believe he was the Buddha, here's a story about how that might have come about.

Years ago I was playing around with a Walter Mitty fantasy. For those unfamiliar with him, Walter is a fictional character in a short story. He's an ordinary guy who likes to play around with fantasies like being a hero or a rock star and so on. One morning while having my morning coffee I was playing around with a little Walter Mitty fantasy for about an hour. It was kind of fun and I continued thinking about it while having breakfast. After breakfast I went out on my back porch and played around with it some more. Things were going really well!

Long story short, about 48 hours later the thing had taken on a life of its own. For every counter to my rock star status in the fantasy my creative imagination was immediately countering and keeping me in my rock star status! A Scientology term came to mind - "freewheeling". I realized I needed to break the cycle and I said "Go Do Some MEST Work!!!" which I did for a few hours which broke the cycle. Phew!

The point regarding Hubbard is did he go into a Walter Mitty fantasy about being the Buddha, freewheel into it for a day or two and then pull himself out firmly believing he had been the Buddha?

Hubbard, Buddha, Crowley et al.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 51

I think that's probably how the mechanism of schizophrenia works, except the person never really pulls themselves out. IMO, Hubbard was schizophrenic, among other things.

Hubbard was a loner with a big imagination and a history of telling tall tales as a child. (Veda and others have the documents on that.) Schizophrenia usually begins to manifest in the late teens or early twenties, often from some sort of emotional trauma, like a breakup with a person's first sweetheart. It is a mental disorder with a strong heredity factor. CTs and MRIs show brain abnormalities in schizophrenics.

"I never had a second wife," said Hubbard in one early media interview. Hubbard had definitely been married to Polly and Polly knew his family well. IMO, it was the breakup with Polly that set him off and he only got worse from then on.

You should read what he did to Polly and L Ron Jr. some time, and then his 2nd wife (Sara Hollister, while he was still married to Polly), and their daughter, Alexi. Hubbard kidnapped Alexi and then in a sadistic rage, told Sara he had killed her.

Last edited by a moderator:

guanoloco

As-Wased
What's so stupid is that the reporter/interviewer asks him about his wives.

He says with a smile...which is very creepy...that his first wife is dead and then he says he is currently happily married.

That's two wives right there. The first deceased and the current wife as number two.

The reporter/interviewer then asks him what about his second wife to which the idiot replies, "I never had a second wife."

WTF?

You just told the guy you are on your second marriage and then you say you never had a second wife?

If he only had two wives the correct response would be "Are you deaf? I just told you that I'm happily married to my second wife."

No one, ever, would say "My first wife is dead. I'm currently happily married right now. I never had a second wife."

That makes ZERO sense.

Unless one is blurting out a lie to cover a hole.

D

Deleted member 51

The main psychological triggers of schizophrenia are stressful life events, such as:
  • bereavement
  • losing your job or home
  • divorce
  • the end of a relationship
  • physical, sexual or emotional abuse
These kinds of experiences, although stressful, don't cause schizophrenia. However, they can trigger its development in someone already vulnerable to it.

I worked with a family that had mental disorders. The son was a sweet child until his grandmother died. He was about 17 then. He went nuts, running down the streets naked, screaming profanities. He only got worse, never recovered, and was hospitalized several times. He would have violent bouts where he'd hurt others or destroy property. Finally, he was labeled schizophrenic and has been on medications the rest of his life. He does alright with the medications and is back to his sweet disposition, though not as sharp as he was before his schizophrenia was triggered by his grandmother's death.

The father was a chronic liar and delusional. He heard and obeyed voices instructing him to do destructive things. He managed to lie and avoid psychiatric treatment for many years, but eventually became so destructive, the extended familiy intervened over his protests and he was finally hospitalized and medicated. He lied about his past, his job, his family... anything. He was also a kleptomaniac and thought nothing of stealing or destroying others' property when he wished and got a thrill from doing it.

The daughter was a bit better off, but had delusions of being part of the British royal family and kept a scrapbook of articles and photographs of them that she would show new friends, claiming they were her cousins, etc. It was a complete fabrication. She even used a fake British accent, though she'd never been to the UK, never even traveled outside Australia. She was in her 20s then.

She began getting counseling in her late 20s, though, and managed to live a fairly normal life with medication.

Hubbard reminds me of all of them rolled into one, but mostly the father. An undiagnosed, unmedicated L Ron Hubbard was a destructive, delusional, lying, abusive nut case, and he spent his last years screaming at BTs to leave him alone, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!
Sara consults psychiatrist

"In 1951, Hubbard's wife Sara went to a psychiatrist to obtain advice about his increasingly violent and irrational behaviour, and was told that he probably needed to be institutionalized and that she was in serious danger. She gave Hubbard an ultimatum: get treatment or she would leave with the baby. He was furious and threatened to kill their daughter Alexis rather than let Northrup care for her. Sara later recalled: "He didn't want her to be brought up by me because I was in league with the doctors. He thought I had thrown in with the psychiatrists, with the devils."[63]"

"In a letter to the Attorney General dated May 1951, Hubbard claims that on "Feb. 25 she [Sara] flew to San Francisco and my general managers Jack Maloney in New Jersey received a phone call from her and Miles Hollister and a psychiatrist named Meyer Zelig in San Francisco that I had gone insane and that they needed money to incarcerate me quickly."[64]

Two decades later, in 1972, Hubbard would write to followers:
the NY Times Literary Section began an attack and a lot of violent track ran by which included DR. MEYER-ZELIG, a psychiatrist in San Francisco master-minding a kidnapping of me to fly me to St. Louis and be put away. His (Zelig’s) plans miscarried. MILES HOLLISTER, formerly a psych student, got hold of SARA NORTHRUP (really Komknoidominoff) (or ov) and handed her over to Zelig who put her in deep hypnosis, fixated her on the idea I was trying to kill her and spun her in, in which state she has remained since. This caused the final destruction of the HDRF [Hubbard Dianetic Research Foundation] as national press only played up her divorce.[65]"
Public allegation of Hubbard having 'paranoid schizophrenia'[edit]

After her release, Sara filed for divorce, charging Hubbard with causing her "extreme cruelty, great mental anguish and physical suffering". Her allegations produced more lurid headlines: not only was Hubbard accused of bigamy and kidnapping, but she had been subjected to "systematic torture, including loss of sleep, beatings, and strangulations and scientific experiments". Because of his "crazy misconduct" she was in "hourly fear of both the life of herself and of her infant daughter, who she has not seen for two months".[6]

On April 23, 1951, it was publicly reported that Sara had consulted doctors who "concluded that said Hubbard was hopelessly insane, and, crazy, and that there was no hope for said Hubbard, or any reason for her to endure further; that competent medical advisers recommended that said Hubbard be committed to a private sanatorium for psychiatric observation and treatment of a mental ailment known as paranoid schizophrenia."[6] The San Francisco Chronicle coverage used the headline "Ron Hubbard Insane, Says His Wife". [68]

Request for psychiatric treatment

After his discharge, Hubbard sought out psychiatric help to treat his "long periods of moroseness and suicidal inclinations" but reported that he could not afford it. A letter dated October 15, 1947 which Hubbard wrote to the Veterans Administration (VA) begins: "This is a request for treatment". The letter continues:
After trying and failing for two years to regain my equilibrium in civil life, I am utterly unable to approach anything like my own competence. My last physician informed me that it might be very helpful if I were to be examined and perhaps treated psychiatrically or even by a psychoanalyst. Toward the end of my service I avoided out of pride any mental examinations, hoping that time would balance a mind which I had every reason to suppose was seriously affected. I cannot account for nor rise above long periods of moroseness and suicidal inclinations, and have newly come to realize that I must first triumph above this before I can hope to rehabilitate myself at all. ... I cannot, myself, afford such treatment.
Would you please help me?[37]
The following year, Hubbard and his wife moved to Savannah, Georgia where he was associated with a charity psychiatric clinic.

"The evidence portrays a man who has been virtually a pathological liar when it comes to his history, background and achievements. The writings and documents in evidence additionally reflect his egoism, greed, avarice, lust for power, and vindictiveness and aggressiveness against persons perceived by him to be disloyal or hostile." -California Superior Court Judge Breckenridge, speaking of L. Ron Hubbard, in a 1984 decision.

“[The court record is] replete with evidence [that Scientology] is nothing in reality but a vast enterprise to extract the maximum amount of money from its adepts by pseudo scientific theories… and to exercise a kind of blackmail against persons who do not wish to continue with their sect…. The organization clearly is schizophrenic and paranoid, and this bizarre combination seems to be a reflection of its founder, L.Ron Hubbard.” —Judge Breckenridge, Los Angeles Superior Court

Last edited:

Zertel

F. Bullbait - I took a quick look at the link and that clarifies things. I didn't go too much into the details, just an overview.

If I HAD to pick a practice or religion it would be Zen Buddhism. Nondualism is a close cousin in my opinion.

When the subject of Buddhism comes up I like to recommend my favorite reference book on Buddhism which is "Buddhism - A Way Of Life And Thought" by Nancy Wilson Ross. It's easy reading and has several often humorous anecdotes from Buddhist lore and has a full glossary and index. It's available in paperback reprint for $10 from amazon and booksellers.

Last edited:

Paul Adams

(Dulloldfart on ESMB)
Buddha etc: It is virtually impossible to know exactly what Hubbard believed out of the volumes he spoke and wrote.

2nd wife: The idea I got from the interview is Hubbard is trying to get out of being put on the spot with a question he doesn't want to answer, as in I was never married to someone else between my admitted first wife and the obvious current wife, Mary Sue. Remember this is before the Internet so such data was hard to fact-check and the question was sprung on him without notice (I assume) in a live interview. It is not that he was so bad at counting or had thought through the response.

Zertel

F. Bullbait - I took a quick look at the link and that clarifies things. I didn't go too much into the details, just an overview.

If I HAD to pick a practice or religion it would be Zen Buddhism. Nondualism is a close cousin in my opinion.

When the subject of Buddhism comes up I like to recommend my favorite reference book on Buddhism which is "Buddhism - A Way Of Life And Thought" by Nancy Wilson Ross. It's easy reading and has several often humorous anecdotes from Buddhist lore and has a full glossary and index. It's available in paperback reprint for $10 from amazon and booksellers.
From the book:

A monk came to the Master Ma Tsu for help in solving the koan he had been given...............The Master suggested that before proceeding the monk should make him a low bow. As he was dutifully prostrating himself, Ma Tsu, the great Master, applied his foot to the monk's posterior. The unexpected kick resolved the murky irresolution in which the monk had been floundering for some time. When he felt the impact of his teacher's foot, he is said to have "attained immediate enlightenment." Subsequently he said to everyone he met, "Since I received that kick from Ma Tsu I haven't been able to stop laughing."

La La Lou Lou

Hubbard didn't understand mental image pictures, if it was in his mind it was real. If he could see something in his head it happened. He saw a daydream of himself imparting his wisdom to monks in robes, so he had to have been the Buddha. He sees images taken from films in his head and thinks that he has full wholetrack recall of Dan Dare and Captain America.

D

Deleted member 51

All else aside, Hubbard had no traits in common with Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) and preached the diametric opposite.

While Hubbard was arrogant, Buddha was humble. Hubbard preached the exultation of ego and self above others, Buddha preached that we are all connected and to treat everyone with dignity and respect. Buddha preached simple living and not to get caught up in material things, Hubbard pushed taking as much money from people as possible and procured wealth and expensive toys and followed expensive hobbies with the money he took from followers. Buddha was honest, Hubbard was a liar and a con man.

The list goes on.