how to stop the mind's chatter

Helena Handbasket

This may or may not be appropriate to this thread ....

I have this little exercise I do. From time to time (meaning at different times, maybe once or twice a month, not at random intervals, but not on any predictable schedule either) I do this:

I try not to think. I find a comfortable, relaxing pose where I don't have to put a lot of effort into remaining there, I close my eyes, and I don't think.

Now not thinking is a very difficult thing to do. The more you try, the more difficult it gets. At worst, you end up thinking about thinking. But the trick is: don't try to stop thinking, but don't add to it either. It works, although not perfectly.

Helena

Zertel

I like the simplicity!

At the risk of making a nice simple thread more complicated, when Buddhism gets mentioned I like to mention my favorite reference book on Buddhism called "Buddhism: A Way Of Life And Thought" by Nancy Wilson Ross. It's easy reading, has a full glossary and index, and is available in paperback reprint for $15. It contains many often humorous stories from Buddhist lore. Here's one of them.

A monk came to the Master Ma Tsu for help in solving the koan he had been given: "What is the meaning of Bodhiharma's coming to China?" The Master suggested that before proceeding with the problem the monk should make him a low bow. As he was dutifully prosrating himself, Ma Tsu, the great Master, applied his foot to the monk's posterior. The unexpected kick resolved the murky irresoluition in which the monk had been floundering for some time. When he felt the impact of his teacher's foot, he is said to have "attained immediate enlightenment". Subsequently he said to everyone he met, "Since I received that kick from Ma Tsu I haven't been able to stop laughing."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 51

I like the simplicity!

At the risk of making a nice simple thread more complicated, when Buddhism gets mentioned I like to mention my favorite reference book on Buddhism called "Buddhism: A way Of Life And Thought" by Nancy Wilson Ross. It's easy reading, has full glossary and index, and is available in paperback reprint for $15. It contains many often humorous stories from Buddhist lore. Here's one of them.

A monk came to the Master Ma Tsu for help in solving the koan he had been given: "What is the meaning of Bodhiharma's coming to China?" The Master suggested that before proceeding with the problem the monk should make him a low bow. As he was dutifully prosrating himself, Ma Tsu, the great Master, applied his foot to the monk's posterior. The unexpected kick resolved the murky irresoluition in which the monk had been floundering for some time. When he felt the impact of his teacher's foot, he is said to have "attained immediate enlightenment". Subsequently he said to everyone he met, "Since I received that kick from Ma Tsu I haven't been able to stop laughing."
Confucius say, “Man who need manual kickstart need strong woman to help push.”

mimsey borogrove

Neill Blomkamp Talks About Eternal Recurrence

Dissolution
3 weeks ago (edited)
What I understood about Nietzsche eternal recurrence is that in fact, every moment will repeat itself to infinity as Neil was describing but I found empowering that I have the will to decide how this moment will be in eternity . It can be paradise or hell. Just ask yourself now, if I´m going to come back to this moment time after time, for all eternity, how I want this moment to be? I rather make it a "good" moment. In that way I escape nihilism.

hlf_coder

2 weeks ago
He’s misrepresenting Nietzsche here imho. Nietzsche’s thought experiment of eternal recurrence was in support of his life affirming philosophy. He expected the average person to first greet the idea with horror, but if you could see this life as something you’d be willing, and even eager, to do it forever, it would be the ultimate expression of life affirmation. And the idea goes back to at least the Greeks, who believed the universe was cyclical. Oddly, if we find that the universe eventually stops expanding and begins to contract, it could actually be true

04dram04

3 weeks ago
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.” ― Bill Hicks

BIG STAK

2 weeks ago
This is how I be talking to my girl on the phone after I just smoked a blunt 😭😭

freethinker

Controversial
I was going to say grease.

mimsey borogrove

It's interesting to compare the different takes on spiritual life:

Some feel when you die and that's it.

Some think you will go to hell, limbo or heaven.

Some preach what you do in this life will reverberate in the next - Karma

Some like Scientology preaches the thetan, or spirit goes linearly, following the forward motion of the time stream.

And there's the predestined crowd.

Or those that believe it's an endless loop.

Robert Monroe wrote that you could live previously to this current existence. If true, you could live at any point - in the present or past or future. So you could live several lives in the now, and be unaware of them ( like a man with two wives in different states)

What's odd? If Hubbard is saying the thetan is exterior to mest, why he didn't come up with Monroe's concept? Why couldn't a thetan jump out of the time stream and live a life earlier then now? Or later? He did say the thetan could operate multiple bodies at the same time, which in a way is sorta that.

Mimsey

1631456635568.png

mimsey borogrove

Ram Dass first went to India in 1967. He was still Dr. Richard Alpert, a prominent Harvard psychologist and psychedelic pioneer with Dr. Timothy Leary. He continued his psychedelic research until that fateful Eastern trip in 1967, when he traveled to India. In India, he met his guru, Neem Karoli Baba, affectionately known as Maharajji, who gave Ram Dass his name, which means “servant of God.”

Everything changed then – his intense dharmic life started, and he became a pivotal influence on a culture that has reverberated with the words “Be Here Now” ever since. Ram Dass’ spirit has been a guiding light for three generations, carrying along millions on the journey, helping to free them from their bonds as he works through his own. Since 1968, Ram Dass has pursued a panoramic array of spiritual methods and practices from potent ancient wisdom traditions, including bhakti or devotional yoga focused on the Hindu deity Hanuman; Buddhist meditation in the Theravadin, Mahayana Tibetan, and Zen Buddhist schools, and Sufi and Jewish mystical studies.

Perhaps most significantly, his practice of karma yoga or spiritual service has opened up millions of other souls to their deep, yet individuated spiritual practice and path. Ram Dass continues to uphold the boddhisatva ideal for others through his compassionate sharing of true knowledge and vision. His unique skill in getting people to cut through and feel divine love without dogma is still a positive influence on many people from all over the planet.

lotus

Pfizer DNA biotech frog
@mimsey borogrove

I can't recall the details of it, but I've watched a documentary on science, last year, and it did explained how the black holes discovery lead to proving there are parralel universes which we inhabits. In short, we are supposedly living multiple live in multiple different dimensions. It was very interesting though.

mimsey borogrove

Our old friend Brian Lambert sent me this essay for publication. He contributed a number of great pieces previously.

ORIGINAL THINKING

Original thinking is the greatest anarchy against prevailing sentiments.

Being in a collective of constant self congratulating agreement may be a sign that original thinking is scarce.

The original thinker always clashes with fixed ideas; including their own; especially their own.

Anger and ad hominem attacks may be proof that original thinking is threatening the prevailing tides. Original thinkers welcome criticism with curiosity, not anger. For the original thinker does not mind being wrong. Acceptance of being wrong is the recognition of more original thought. Finding truth; not being right, is the holy grail of original thought.

Original thought is an intuitional soul quality supported by an independent and vibrant discriminating intelligence.

Original thinking is always an enemy of rigid psychological antiques, cultists and unreasonable emotional belief systems.

Having the capacity to be wrong or recognizing self created flaws, the original thinker is constantly upgrading, revamping and perfecting perceptions of absolute and relative truth. This constant upgrading and change is threatening to stagnant cult type minds whose rigidity has no room for questions and transforming self enquiry. Cultists are satisfied with stagnation of knowledge as they worship their dogmas and consider them absolute.

Knowledge is ever evolving through original thinking. Knowledge is ever new in understanding as it evolves. It’s fresh and inspiring, never stagnant. Cultists love their mental boxes. Original thinkers prefer hot air balloons.

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
Our old friend Brian Lambert sent me this essay for publication. He contributed a number of great pieces previously.

ORIGINAL THINKING

Being in a collective of constant self congratulating agreement may be a sign that original thinking is scarce.

The original thinker always clashes with fixed ideas; including their own; especially their own.

Anger and ad hominem attacks may be proof that original thinking is threatening the prevailing tides. Original thinkers welcome criticism with curiosity, not anger. For the original thinker does not mind being wrong. Acceptance of being wrong is the recognition of more original thought. Finding truth; not being right, is the holy grail of original thought.

Original thought is an intuitional soul quality supported by an independent and vibrant discriminating intelligence.

thinkinOriginalg is always an enemy of rigid psychological antiques, cultists and unreasonable emotional belief systems.

Having the capacity to be wrong or recognizing self created flaws, the original thinker is constantly upgrading, revamping and perfecting perceptions of absolute and relative truth. This constant upgrading and change is threatening to stagnant cult type minds whose rigidity has no room for questions and transforming self enquiry. Cultists are satisfied with stagnation of knowledge as they worship their dogmas and consider them absolute.

Knowledge is ever evolving through original thinking. Knowledge is ever new in understanding as it evolves. It’s fresh and inspiring, never stagnant. Cultists love their mental boxes. Original thinkers prefer hot air balloons.

That is interesting as long as a person does not confuse

ORIGINAL THINKING

Original thinking is always an enemy of rigid psychological antiques, cultists and unreasonable emotional belief systems.

That is interesting as long as a person does not confuse original thinking with conspiracy thinking.

D

Deleted member 51

That is interesting as long as a person does not confuse

That is interesting as long as a person does not confuse original thinking with conspiracy thinking.
Too general. Really, the word conspiracy can cover anything you think a person wasn’t fully honest or forthcoming about. Politicians talk, they lie.

How about if we all just don’t go too far down a rabbit hole? :)