How Bacteria Are Changing Your Mood

Type4_PTS

With a growing body of research, microbial medicine is entering the mental health conversation;

How bacteria are changing your mood

Excerpted from that article:

Prof Cryan said: "I predict in the next five years when you go to your doctor for your cholesterol testing etc, you'll also get your microbiome assessed.

"The microbiome is the fundamental future of personalized medicine."

Some doctors who have kept up with the cutting edge research have already been doing this for many years, including some who practice what is often referred to as "functional medicine".

From a random website I came across:

What is a Functional Medicine Doctor & Practitioner?

A Functional Medicine doctor restores normal physiology and normal body “Function” rather than focusing on the treatment of specific diseases. We find, in general, that if we can restore normal body function that most disease processes clear up. So then, what is a Functional Medicine practitioner? Ok, that question takes some explaining.

In a sense Functional Medicine is a area of specialty unto itself. So you could have a medical doctor that practices medicine, internal medicine or geriatric medicine, pediatric medicine or oncology AND practices Functional Medicine also. You could have a nurse practitioner or chiropractor or acupuncturist or naturopath that practices nursing, chiropractic, acupuncture or naturopathy AND alongside that practices Functional Medicine. You’ll have some physicians that only practice Functional Medicine and cease to use their original training. Most docs combine whatever their original training was with the Functional Medicine model.

D

Deleted member 51

The one single, common denominator I’ve seen in healthy elderly is terrific digestion and elimination.

Folks in their 80s, 90s and beyond who are still mentally well and physically active all had terrific bowel action. Some took fiber, laxatives, etc. to keep it going, but wow, they were in great shape for their age.

Unfortunately, many obsessed on when they had their last poop and I hated having to talk about that all the time. It doesn’t exactly promote a stimulating conversation....

guanoloco

As-Wased
Dr. Grundy claims that there's 7 longevity hotspots across the globe and their diets are all different as well as their personal habits. Some smoke, some drink, some do neither.

The one commonality, supposedly, across all 7 regions is their gut health. They have "young" guts that are healthy, thriving and functioning in great shape.

Cat's Squirrel

The one single, common denominator I’ve seen in healthy elderly is terrific digestion and elimination.

Folks in their 80s, 90s and beyond who are still mentally well and physically active all had terrific bowel action. Some took fiber, laxatives, etc. to keep it going, but wow, they were in great shape for their age.

Unfortunately, many obsessed on when they had their last poop and I hated having to talk about that all the time. It doesn’t exactly promote a stimulating conversation....
That's interesting Sheila. Something I've seen from a report on a survey of people who lived into their 90s and older was that they all did something every day to keep their circulation going - typically a brisk, full body rub down with a towel.

D

Deleted member 51

That's interesting Sheila. Something I've seen from a report on a survey of people who lived into their 90s and older was that they all did something every day to keep their circulation going - typically a brisk, full body rub down with a towel.
Yes, circulation is vital, and many elderly have poor circulation so really need that. Their guts though ... were as if they were in their 20s, no matter what they ate.

D

Deleted member 51

That's exactly what Grundy claims.
Yeh, he’s absolutely right It’s a weird thing to realize that when a person’s guts are maintained to work that well, they can eat just about anything and filter and get rid of the bad stuff and because their bodies filter everything so well, they have terrific health.

I was amazed to see it, to be honest. You’d think they’d eat healthy but half of them love sugar, carbs and salt way too much for that. Nobody elderly that was healthy drank alcohol, though. I suspect even small amounts of alcohol might seriously disrupt digestion and elimination.