Hi from Sydney - re word clearing

Clear as Fog

Hi all,

I have been a member of the old site, but not logged in for at least three years or so. Good to see some of the old names continuing to post.

I was just reading someones post regarding word clearing, and I had a thought I had not considered before. Someone said something to the effect of that word clearing seemed to make the tech more believable. My mind wandered back to the old red tech dictionary. I think of all the effort I went to to get an elaborate concept of all of LRHs terms, and I think just doing this helped to suck me into believing the twaddle.

Even things like tinnitus ... having a thetan closeby ( or similar twaddle ) was something I virtually believed. Moving on 35 years I feel I was drinking the koolaid. Hopefully, this younger generation has better analytical skills.

Anyhow I just wanted to say hi to the good people who are diligent in helping to wear down this insane cult.

Karakorum

The most ethical being in the gullibxy
Anyhow I just wanted to say hi to the good people who are diligent in helping to wear down this insane cult.
Hi, pleased to meet you.

Using dictionaries is a good thing to do (not about Scientology).

However, Hubbard abused this.
Sometimes if a student disagreed with some item in "the tech" they would be "word cleared" until they gave up and caved in to it.
Yep, exactly.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Using dictionaries is a good thing to do (not about Scientology).

However, Hubbard abused this.
Sometimes if a student disagreed with some item in "the tech" they would be "word cleared" until they gave up and caved in to it.
In elementary school. they issued dictionaries to all of us and told us to look words up, both for meaning and to check spelling.

Karakorum

The most ethical being in the gullibxy
In elementary school. they issued dictionaries to all of us and told us to look words up, both for meaning and to check spelling.
Did they tell you to word-clear things like "the" or "and" and learn by heart all the definitions?

JackStraw

Did they tell you to word-clear things like "the" or "and" and learn by heart all the definitions?
Not so much "the" or "and," but "of" "for" and a whole collection of "reflexive pronouns." "Of" and "for" are fascinating (to me :geek: . Reflexive pronouns, I found, were hard to understand and/or to explain. My "take" on the word "take" "took" me to many places, and "takes" time to understand all the various nuances...

Words, their meanings and origins are quite interesting to me (and this affliction began long before I had ever heard of "Ronnies Folly!) :cheers:

Reactions: M&M

Harden Long

She'll allure
I remember being taught the basic connective words like and, or, the etc. being taught in elementary school, I'm thinking it was 1st grade as kindergarten was more about the alphabet and silly projects, trying to get us interested in becoming educated.
I remember these words and other similar words being taught and put into practice where we had to build sentences using these words.
The teacher would go over the dictionary definition of each word and write partial sentences on the chalk board where we would be required to give her the correct words to complete the sentence. I remember all that stuff.
We were drilled in their usage and they were in our soft covered word practice books that we had to correctly fill out complete with examples of their use, sometimes called "Spelling Books" but correct word meanings were the key.
We had our hard covered books we were not to write in and our larger, soft covered matching work books where writing in them was the whole point. They both contained the dictionary definitions of the words they were teaching so that it was self contained and complete for teaching purposes. We didn't generally have to go fumbling for dictionaries as a result.
It was quite comprehensive, so in a way Hubbard sent us back to redo all of our elementary school education via "his", rather the Berner's, "study tech".

Last edited: