For You Guys Interested in Pursuing the Actual SCIENTIFIC Research into These Matters

RogerB

Being on a number of email lists in the scientific community, I came across these two online forums dealing with TRUE SCIENCE and scientific investigation into the matters that interest many members here.

1) OpenSciences.org – open-minded scientific investigations - Campaign for Open Science
It has a wonderful section titled "Open Questions."

2) Psi Encyclopedia | The Scientific Investigation of Psychic Phenomena
These guys have been around for years. I first ran into them in 1965 when I first hit London.

About Psi Research

‘Psi’ (the Greek letter ψ) is the modern collective term for the psychic functions of telepathy, clairvoyance, precognition and psychokinesis. Psi phenomena were studied by Fellows of the Royal Society, among others, in the late seventeenth century, and were noted in the late eighteenth century in relation to hypnosis. In the second half of the nineteenth century, scientists such as Robert Hare, William Crookes and Johann Zöllner began to uncover more evidence in their experiments with séance mediums. Systematic study began in 1882 with the founding in London of the Society for Psychical Research, which, besides investigating the claims of spirit mediums, carried out surveys of ‘spontaneous’ phenomena – experiences of telepathic connections, ghosts, apparitions and poltergeists, precognitive dreams and the like – and conducted the first formal experiments.

From the 1930s the focus switched to experimentation based on statistics, pioneered by Joseph Banks Rhine at Duke University in the US. The Society for Psychical Research, Parapsychological Association and other privately-funded organisations continue to investigate psychic claims and carry out experiments, publishing the results in their peer-reviewed journals.

These guys also run:
About the Psi Encyclopedia

There is now a vast research literature that validates the existence of psi as an anomalous, fleeting and little understood aspect of human experience. Psi researchers believe that it has been demonstrated many times over, and in a variety of contexts. But this remains controversial, since psi appears to contradict long-accepted scientific principles.
Snipped . . . . .

/

Zertel

Rupert Sheldrake came into the conversation a few years ago on Marty Rathbun's blog. Morphic resonance, the transfer of information between groups unknown to each other is an interesting concept. Failure at scientology might lead someone to become an atheist scientific materialist but I remain "open minded" - haha

I'm not a follower of Ken Wilber (Integral Life) but here's a quote from him from Wikipedia I like:

Wilber: "Are the mystics and sages insane? Because they all tell variations on the same story, don't they? The story of awakening one morning and discovering you are one with the All, in a timeless and eternal and infinite fashion. Yes, maybe they are crazy, these divine fools. Maybe they are mumbling idiots in the face of the Abyss. Maybe they need a nice, understanding therapist. Yes, I'm sure that would help. But then, I wonder. Maybe the evolutionary sequence really is from matter to body to mind to soul to spirit, each transcending and including, each with a greater depth and greater consciousness and wider embrace. And in the highest reaches of evolution, maybe, just maybe, an individual's consciousness does indeed touch infinity—a total embrace of the entire Kosmos—a Kosmic consciousness that is Spirit awakened to its own true nature. It's at least plausible. And tell me: is that story, sung by mystics and sages the world over, any crazier than the scientific materialism story, which is that the entire sequence is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying absolutely nothing? Listen very carefully: just which of those two stories actually sounds totally insane?"

RogerB

Nice, Zertel. Very nice!

One of the phrases I use often in my writings on the research my team and I are doing is the notion that what we are working toward is: "The recovery and placing back under our knowing control these true basic and native spiritual powers, awarenesses, abilities and capacities. Thus, for the guys involved in this work, it is not theory or woo woo, but actual certainty and the ability to perform.

stratty

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Nice, Zertel. Very nice!

One of the phrases I use often in my writings on the research my team and I are doing is the notion that what we are working toward is: "The recovery and placing back under our knowing control these true basic and native spiritual powers, awarenesses, abilities and capacities. Thus, for the guys involved in this work, it is not theory or woo woo, but actual certainty and the ability to perform.
What you are 'working towards' is highly commendable, but since no one yet in the history of the world has ever demonstrated very much in the way of the 'native spiritual powers, awarenesses, abilities and capacities' that you speak of (and let's be honest, what you're talking about are 'OT powers') apart from fragmentary anecdotal evidence, or, putting it bluntly, fraudulent evidence, aren't you and your 'research team' getting a bit ahead of yourselves there? Just asking.

Last edited: