Explaining life now

ILove2Lurk

AI Chatbot
. . .
"My life now, my whole life apart from anything that can happen to me, every minute of it,
is no more meaningless, as it was before, but it has the positive meaning of goodness,
which I have the power to put into it." ― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
Excerpted from The Epoch Times
Many writers consider Anna Karenina the greatest work of literature ever. Aside from being​
a novel about betrayal, faith, family and marriage, Leo Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina is also a story​
about one man’s search for meaning in a complicated world.​
Konstantin Levin, the story’s second main character, spends a large portion of the novel trying​
to figure out how his wife Kitty could believe in a higher power he’s never seen any signs of.​
One day, he was listening to a peasant talk about two landowners—a stingy one and a generous​
one—and asked the peasant, Fyodor, how it could be that these two men were so different from​
each other.​
Fyodor replied that the generous landowner “lives for his soul” and “does not forget God,” leading​
Levin to realize the miracle that he’s been looking for this whole time—goodness.​
Levin reasons that it’s rational for a person to live for his needs like food and shelter, but not for​
goodness. Yet, humanity knows about this concept called “goodness,” and many people even give​
up their own personal interests to be good.​
So, he reasons, where could this idea have come from if it wasn’t bestowed upon humanity by some​
higher force?​
Levin, the educated noble, likely never expected that an offhand comment by a simple peasant would​
be what gave him the epiphany he’d been hoping for.​

Whether that goodness comes from "god" or simply the immutable cosmic forces of the universe, it doesn't
matter that much to me. I see it and and feel it from all the people I know, my neighbors and close friends.
I imbue my life and world around me with my innate goodness best I can, and so do most other people I know.

Goodness is a meaning we put into life, and consequently, we find it in life.

You might have seen my wildlife photos on another thread. I practice and work on my photography for
several hours almost every day. As a photographer, you have to be able to see the beauty that nature or man
creates in the world and capture it for your audience. I've learned over the years that not everyone can see
the beauty that I can see. I imbue my life and world around with beauty best I can.

Beauty is a meaning I put into life, and consequently, what I find in life.

I have a few other meanings that are important to me, but I don't want to belabor the point. I imbue my life
with them, and surprise . . . I find them in my life.

Footnote: Like Neo in The Matrix, I've pulled the plug on the simulated alternative reality (cable TV, Facebook,
Twitter, main stream media, etc.) being produced for me and other people, many of whom are unknowingly trapped
inside. It helps to have an arm's length relationship with this culture and current events. That is, living a life as
independently as possible and detached from all the false ideas, false meanings, and false narratives of today.
Of course, YMMV. :coolwink:

Dotey OT

Re-Membered
Footnote: Like Neo in The Matrix, I've pulled the plug on the simulated alternative reality (cable TV, Facebook,
Twitter, main stream media, etc.) being produced for me and other people, many of whom are unknowingly trapped
inside. It helps to have an arm's length relationship with this culture and current events. That is, living a life as
independently as possible and detached from all the false ideas, false meanings, and false narratives of today.
Of course, YMMV. :coolwink:
I do no cable TV, no Facebook, no Twitter, no main stream media. As I go forward it is easy to see those that do feed on those streams of propaganda. It feels really, really good to be done with the insanity. It is better to not hear the lies people are trying to feed you, and I do not feel discomfort in not keeping up with the latest outrage.

HelluvaHoax!

What is the meaning of life?

What if that is simply the wrong question to ask?

To wit, what if "what is the meaning of life?" is a meaningless question?

HelluvaHoax!

What if an ant on a spiritual quest inquired "what is the meaning of life?" and after an entire lifetime of meditation and deep inner-reflection, they found their answer.

An anthill.

Is that answer (although seemingly limited) good enough?

Last edited:

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Asking about "the meaning of life" is asking what higher purpose your life fulfills.

But you yourself, as a free person, decide what purpose you choose to follow, if any.

HelluvaHoax!

Asking about "the meaning of life" is asking what higher purpose your life fulfills.

But you yourself, as a free person, decide what purpose you choose to follow, if any.

My purpose is to follow other ants around on an ant hill.

Because, they seem to know where they are going.

HelluvaHoax!

I have never thought that I have only one purpose for my life. :)

What if a person searches for their entire life, in order to try to find their purpose. . .

Only to discover at the very end that their purpose was to try to find their purpose.

Does that count? LOL

Last edited:

freethinker

Controversial

It's dangerous to give the "SP tech" to dumb people.

Because they start declaring innocent people to be SPs. That's when the thuggery, black ops, crimes, fair game and terrorism begin.

If a few of those dummies work together, it forms a wicked mob.

Put a few mobs together and you get fascism, concentration camps and genocide.

SUMMARY: The core problem with the SP tech is that it's administered by useful idiots in the service of SP cult leaders.

Democratic party.

freethinker

Controversial
I can't help thinking hubbard was ahead of his time though.

:hmm:

We now have scientologists WOKE squads labelling anyone who doesn't conform to their cultic current thinking with vicious names that just a few years ago would have been unbelievable.

WOKES and wannabes attempting to jab the fine needle of spite and discord into anyone they declare 'out ethics' are the new scientologists.

Yawn.
I thought Hubbard was ahead of his crime.

freethinker

Controversial

That could be meaningful.

HelluvaHoax!

How do you explain life, living and meaning now in aftermath - after scientology?

It's an interesting contrast--to ask that survey question to persons of various religious denominations:

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN LIFE?
Scientologist: "I don't have to explain life. Because Ron already explained it. Read the Basics!"

Christian: "I don't have to explain life. Because Jesus already explained it. Read the Bible!"

Muslim: "I don't have to explain life. Because Mohammad already explained it. Read the Koran!"

Ex-Scientologist: "I don't have to explain life. Because Whistleblowers already debunked everything. Read the Internet!"

Helena Handbasket

There are 3 basic meanings to life:

** To feel good

** To accomplish your goals

** To help others.

Not everybody will have all three. The specifics of how to do any of these will vary from person to person.

Helena