EX SCIENTOLOGISTS STORIES

alyssagray18

Hi everyone, I'm writing an academic paper about scientology and people's experiences. If anyone could take a few minute to fill this out that would be so helpful. The survey is 100% online and 100% anonymous.
Heres the link for anyone interested: AP Research Survey

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Hi everyone, I'm writing an academic paper about scientology and people's experiences. If anyone could take a few minute to fill this out that would be so helpful. The survey is 100% online and 100% anonymous.
Heres the link for anyone interested: AP Research Survey
Your link points to forms.gle, which has been sometimes used in phishing exploits.

It would be better if you just posted your questions in this thread and people can post responses.

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
The questions on the survey:

Which group are you affiliated with?

What caused you to join your organization?

Do you currently have any diagnosed illness or disorders? If so what are they and when were you diagnosed?

1) Did you consider yourself lost or wayward before you joined?

2) Has the institution's values shaped who you are today?

3) Do you prioritize the well being or your organization over yourself sometimes?

4) Has the institution given you a specific routine to follow (stuying, readings, practices)? If so do you think it is beneficial or too restrictive? And what does this routine look like?

5) Have you ever fearing about losing control and straying away from group ideals? Do you believe straying away is one of the worst possible things that could happen to you?

6) Have you ever found yourself having repetitive behavior when anxious? (checking light switches, stoves, closing blinds, locking doors)

7) Have you ever experienced intrusive thoughts (unwelcomed thoughts that make you uncomfortable they can be violent, sexual, dangerous, disturbing, or upsetting)? If so please elaborate, if you do not feel comfortable sharing that is completely fine.

8) Do you live with others in your institution? If so do you feel unsettled when you are in an environment with people not affiliated with your institution?

9) Does you institution use "group think" (where everyone has a common belief)?

10) Is deviated ideology shamed within your institution (if someone believes in something other than the common belief)? If so, how does your organization go about doing that?

11) Have you ever felt unworthy or not good enough of your community within your institution?

12) Does the group typically shame people who have left your institution? If so why?

13) Do you find it more difficult to interact with others outside of your institution? If so in what ways?

14) In a relationship (romantic or platonic) do you feel the need to change you ideas to feel more accepted?

15) Do you avoid activities on interactions that are out of your comfort zone?

16) Is maintaining expectations of your institution exhausting on you physically or mentally? If so, do you push through for the wellbeing of the group?

17) Was it difficult to adjust to your current institution? Since then how do you feel about the person you were before joining?

18) Are there any other important details about your experience that you would like to share?

19) What would you say to to the version of yourself before joining the institution?

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
@alyssagray18
Here are some items you might consider adding to your survey

20) Are/were you a 2nd generation Scientologist?

21) Did you ever go "exterior" on any Scientology services? What do you think about that now?

22) Were you ever in the Sea Organization? What do you think about that now?

23) If you were on staff, and then left, did you have difficulties in making a job career after that?

24) If you were on staff did you ever have difficulties in getting adequate medical treatment when needed?

25) If you were on staff how many hours per week did you work and what was your weekly pay?

JeansAndRice

@alyssagray18
Here are some items you might consider adding to your survey
Those second set of questions are good; the "before joining" questions make my 2nd gen brain crumple.

I dream about a pre-cult personality.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
Those second set of questions are good; the "before joining" questions make my 2nd gen brain crumple.

I dream about a pre-cult personality.
I know how you feel. I was reading Steve Hassan's book "Combatting Cult Mind Control" a few years back and he kept mentioning a "pre-cult-self". Well, guess what? We never had any.

The best I could come up with was a pre-SO-self ;)

JeansAndRice

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief

Xenu Xenu Xenu

I got in when I was 19. It is a perfect age to join a cult like Scientology. There is a good chance you are going through a phase of hating your family or parents at that age and that can come in handy and make such things as disconnection easier. We all know how much cults like to separate you from your non-believing friends and family. I am sure I am not the first person to state that.

Dark

I got in when I was 19. It is a perfect age to join a cult like Scientology. There is a good chance you are going through a phase of hating your family or parents at that age and that can come in handy and make such things as disconnection easier. We all know how much cults like to separate you from your non-believing friends and family. I am sure I am not the first person to state that.
on the flip side there was an AOLA exec once, that blew and joined the Navy, to block Scn from coming after him :buzzin:

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
Wow, that really shook me! I got in at 19-20 years old. Which is not very old, as most people know and is a vulnerable age. But at least it was SOMETHING!
That is when I first got involved, too.

I was a college student and spending some time in my university library looking for religious/spiritual answers.
(I was leaning toward Buddhism at that time.)

Then on campus along came a disseminator who invited me to a SCN Intro Lecture at a local franchise mission and that is how it all began with me.

TheSneakster

An academic has an educational institution with which they are associated. They have names and credentials which may be verified at said institution. So who are you and what is your position in which department at what university, please ?

• LoL
Reactions: Ed8

Ed8

An academic has an educational institution with which they are associated. They have names and credentials which may be verified at said institution. So who are you and what is your position in which department at what university, please ?
*crickets*