Eckankar

Xenu Xenu Xenu

I have wondered how they get new members or if getting new members is high on their list of "things to do". I just have never seen any of that body routing nonsense that Scientology used to do all the time.

I did find out that only the very top of the cult gets paid a wage or salary. The local centers are upkept and paid for by the local Eck people.

I very superficially surfed around and what I found was rather familiar. There was a lot of that going on. The leader is a recluse. Gee, you think he knows it is all a scam?

It appears that compared to Scientology, the members of this cult are treated fairly well. I will say that much, even if they are manipulated cult members. I know that sounds weird but Scientology just makes Eckankar look better in comparison.

Just watch out if you find out what a lie it all is though. You are not going to be treated well if you try to convince others of your new found knowledge.

The big deal with astral travelling in your dreams and all those levels makes me shake my head that people could fall for this but then I remember and realize just how much people want to believe and how cults are set up to "manage" you as much as possible.

I-amPneuma8

My Mother became an Eck-ist after SCN. She supposedly went as far as OTIII in Los Angeles. Now I don't know whether it was by reason of her involvement with SCN or ECKANKAR, but my Mother was a chain smoker (5 packs a day!) and a functioning alcoholic (every evening she and her boyfriend went barhopping) She did the Purification Rundown and prior to starting it, she stopped smoking and drinking cold turkey. She would not even take a sip of champagne at my wedding. She became so healthy and had a great spiritual outlook on life. Who or what deserves "credit"? SCN?...ECK? (neither or both?)...surely she does, for making the decision to become a better person and lead a better life.

Mom owned a large collection of ECK cassette tapes featuring Sri Harold Klemp, their Spiritual Leader. A.K. A. "The Mahanta", Klemp uses "parables" to teach ECKANKAR principles in simple story form. I enjoyed listening to the tapes. I did not hear anything bad or evil or "cult-like" but rather harmless, commonly shared fundamental truths which have been written and passed down from generation to generation via numerous religions and philosophies. The wording is different is all. They believe (or rather "know" with total conviction) in Karma and Re-Incarnation, Past Lives. that we are "Soul" (Spirit or "Thetan" to use SCN's word) to describe the immortal beings that we factually are. Our purpose here on Earth (which is likened to the School of Living Life) ) is to grow spiritually and become Co-workers with God and that is achieved by LOVING.
Look, at this point in my life, I am NOT seeking the "True One & Only Religion" as no such religion exists. No "God" or "Supreme Being" or "Creator of All That Is" is going to acknowledge the existence of, and Love just one single religious group. So ANY religion or philosophy that proclaims "Ours is the ONLY Way to Salvation" is bullshit. That the "only way" is through Jesus Christ is simply UNTRUE. (All of this is my opinion - not asking anyone to agree or believe as I do). My plan is to read more and listen more to the lectures (there are many videos on YouTube) and see what I can glean from it as being truthful, useful in my life, spiritually enhancing...hmm something I yearned for in SCN. Please don't let me discover horribleness and miserableness in it (ECK) and have to get hold of Leah Remini to expose them too! TR

I-amPneuma8

I have wondered how they get new members or if getting new members is high on their list of "things to do". I just have never seen any of that body routing nonsense that Scientology used to do all the time.

I did find out that only the very top of the cult gets paid a wage or salary. The local centers are upkept and paid for by the local Eck people.

I very superficially surfed around and what I found was rather familiar. There was a lot of that going on. The leader is a recluse. Gee, you think he knows it is all a scam?

It appears that compared to Scientology, the members of this cult are treated fairly well. I will say that much, even if they are manipulated cult members. I know that sounds weird but Scientology just makes Eckankar look better in comparison.

Just watch out if you find out what a lie it all is though. You are not going to be treated well if you try to convince others of your new found knowledge.

The big deal with astral travelling in your dreams and all those levels makes me shake my head that people could fall for this but then I remember and realize just how much people want to believe and how cults are set up to "manage" you as much as possible.
OK, I've been looking at the Eck website. Apparently they do chant.... of a sort. They say Hu or Yew or whatever. It's pronounced Hugh. (They have a 20 minute video of this on their site) This is supposed to lead you to or atune you to the light and sound of God. I tried it and something happened. It was sort of startling. I heard a music that "wasn't there" or shouldn't be there. I briefly tuned into it I guess. Really. I'm not joking. It was odd. In a good way.
I have had the experience of listening to ECK-ists (members of Eckankar) chanting "HU" (an ancient name for GOD) for many minutes at a time and sometimes I would hear "chimes" and other "harmonics" and distinct voices...no harm in that!

I-amPneuma8

I don't know either. I don't think I want to know in a way. I only know what I posted in those previous posting on this thread. I do know what Paul Twitchell wrote about that though in his book, "Eckankar" and he spent a few pages writing about the different ways to astral travel. It is possible that the chanting he wrote about in his book was just filler. I don't know. It was just an intro book just like "Dianetics" and I know that Dianetics seems to have very little to do with a Scientologist's daily life. Perhaps the Eckankar book has little to do with what Eck people are really doing as well.

His book is right up there with "How to Win at Roulette". There is just so much wrong with it on every page. It is the work of a liar and a fraud. I wish I still had a copy of it. You would get a laugh out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eckankar has some "secret knowledge" for the more long timers who spent the money and time on this cult. In the "Moonie Cult" it turns out that you learn that the Reverend Moon was and is actually God. Which God? You know the answer to that -- the real God of the Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and everyone else.

For some reason I have an interest in other cults like Eckankar or the Moonies. I like to look into it from a distance. There is no way I would go into their "church" to look around. It wouldn't help me or accomplish anything. I sort of know what to expect since I was in a cult before. They would be very suspicious of me.

Next time I post here it will probably be because I found something of interest on the web, I guess.
An interesting article entitled "Cults or Culture": Cult or culture? How three letters make the difference between good and bad. If SCN falls into the "cult" category with a "cult" being considered as evil, harmful, abusive etc...then Eckankar is NOT, in my opinion a "cult" in the same derogatory meaning. I believe that ECK is a bonafide spiritual religion with the simple goal of helping SOULS unfold spiritually and become more God-Like in their daily lives by being more loving and tolerant and understanding of others. Not necessarily an easy task in todays' rotten world. TR

Chuck J.

Election Fraud Has Consequences
My Mother became an Eck-ist after SCN. She supposedly went as far as OTIII in Los Angeles. Now I don't know whether it was by reason of her involvement with SCN or ECKANKAR, but my Mother was a chain smoker (5 packs a day!) and a functioning alcoholic (every evening she and her boyfriend went barhopping) She did the Purification Rundown and prior to starting it, she stopped smoking and drinking cold turkey. She would not even take a sip of champagne at my wedding. She became so healthy and had a great spiritual outlook on life. Who or what deserves "credit"? SCN?...ECK? (neither or both?)...surely she does, for making the decision to become a better person and lead a better life.

Mom owned a large collection of ECK cassette tapes featuring Sri Harold Klemp, their Spiritual Leader. A.K. A. "The Mahanta", Klemp uses "parables" to teach ECKANKAR principles in simple story form. I enjoyed listening to the tapes. I did not hear anything bad or evil or "cult-like" but rather harmless, commonly shared fundamental truths which have been written and passed down from generation to generation via numerous religions and philosophies. The wording is different is all. They believe (or rather "know" with total conviction) in Karma and Re-Incarnation, Past Lives. that we are "Soul" (Spirit or "Thetan" to use SCN's word) to describe the immortal beings that we factually are. Our purpose here on Earth (which is likened to the School of Living Life) ) is to grow spiritually and become Co-workers with God and that is achieved by LOVING.
Look, at this point in my life, I am NOT seeking the "True One & Only Religion" as no such religion exists. No "God" or "Supreme Being" or "Creator of All That Is" is going to acknowledge the existence of, and Love just one single religious group. So ANY religion or philosophy that proclaims "Ours is the ONLY Way to Salvation" is bullshit. That the "only way" is through Jesus Christ is simply UNTRUE. (All of this is my opinion - not asking anyone to agree or believe as I do). My plan is to read more and listen more to the lectures (there are many videos on YouTube) and see what I can glean from it as being truthful, useful in my life, spiritually enhancing...hmm something I yearned for in SCN. Please don't let me discover horribleness and miserableness in it (ECK) and have to get hold of Leah Remini to expose them too! TR
Well, they don't have a Para-Military arm, lol. At least as far as I know, so there's that. :D

A guy I know of tells a story about meeting "the man on the beach" in a life-changing incident. I always thought it was a nice story, one of those things you read that was a big influence on a person or an encounter that changed their life. In this case it changed his life much for the better. Ok, ho hum. But after glancing at the ECK "saints" or Vairagi the man on the beach in this guys story is the exact duplicate of Rebezar Tarz, an ECK "Saint." Now the odd thing is this guy telling the story has zero knowledge of ECK yet described the man exactly. All I can say is: That is certainly odd.

"My plan is to read more and listen more to the lectures (there are many videos on YouTube) and see what I can glean from it as being truthful, useful in my life, spiritually enhancing..."

Yes. The $cn. cult has no corner on the market of wisdom, although they like to say they do.

Xenu Xenu Xenu

The more I read about Eckankar the more I see how much it is like most cults. The lies and the way they view ex-members is pretty much just like all the other cults. It only goes to prove that some people will believe anything. I would copy paste some links but anyone interested can find that themselves quite easily. If anything, this thread has taught me something about Scientology just as much as it has taught me about Eckankar due to the fact that cults of all kinds have many similarities.