"Dreams" - Can anybody tell me...?

I-amPneuma8

can anybody tell me, what person, group, organization or other source...do you feel offers the most accurate account of what dreams really are? We all know that dreams certainly exist. Personally, mine are some of the most incredible, intricate, defying explanation and gravity (e.g. my 'flying" dreams" - in full color and sound...and I am one of the fortunate, who remembers them vividly when I awake. Some of my dreams are repetitive (like re-runs, LOL) and others are brand new (like pilot tv shows). Some movie directors and book authors and sci-fy writers such as: Steven Spielberg, Stephen King, James Cameron would be in awe if they could sit and watch some of my dreams. I don't know if any past threads have already been done on this subject of "Dreams" but I would love to hear some of what you consider to be your best or favorite dreams. I have had my share of bad dreams...please SPARE US those. I hear enough "bad stuff" every day on the NEWS.

I will start with one of my favs...which reoccurs with frequency:
I'm on a beach and there is a nice quite strong, yet warm soothing wind. I grab a large white towel and I grasp both end pieces of the towel, behind me, with both hands,...and then I simply run and the wind gets caught in the towel (like it does in a sail on a ship) and up and away I go flying safely above the people below who point up and yell in astonishment!. The feeling of flying is euphoric. TR

YOUR TURN:

Chuck J.

"Austere Religious Scholar"
One of my favorite dreams was meeting Mike Tyson. I was walking along the shore of Lake Tahoe and Mike had a big suburban house like you see outside of Phoenix or Las Vegas, i.e. a McMansion. It was on pilings (posts) and sat about 18 inches above the water, which was very smooth and calm. I look over to the forest and it's quiet and a bit hazy with fog. I walk across the walkway and ring the doorbell, big double doors. Mike opens the door with a toothy grin and says in his high squeaky voice, " Hi Chuck, how ya doin?" "I'm all right, Mike." "Hey C'mon in."

So we walk inside and Mike asks me if I want something to drink, water or some orange juice. I say some orange juice would be nice. As we are walking to the kitchen I notice a little section where Mike has Ming Dynasty vases on display. "Gee Mike, I didn't know you collected stuff like this." He smiles and gives me a technical rundown on one of them, full of dates and why it's in Exc. condition and what to look for to verify it's real, etc. etc.

"Mike I'm kinda shocked, people think you're a savage." "Yeah, well that's just my public persona. I'm really a nice guy." We get to the kitchen which is very modern and nice, all the "mod cons" and granite counter tops, in all it's very tastefully done. He opens the big fridge gets out a pitcher and pours me a glass of orange juice. So then Mike says, "Chuck the reason I wanted you to come over is to talk politics."

And we go into deep discussion on some arcane bit of trivia from 20th century political history. He knows his stuff and has a voluminous knowledge of history. This goes on for awhile, it's very pleasant. Then Mike wants to show me something in a book in his library so we walk to this set of carved wooden double doors that go to the ceiling he swings them open and I'm stunned by what's inside.

It looks like the British Library with the huge multi-stacks / stories of books that you walk on a ladder to get to the 2nd and 3rd stories / walkways. The room also has lovely stained glass windows that let in a lot of light near a big desk where you can sit and read. It's hard to describe all the detail.... it's a dream lol. So Mike opens a book to show me a paragraph, it sort of glows as I read the first part and then I wake up.

:roflmao:

I've left a lot of detail out.

Last edited:

Veda

can anybody tell me, what person, group, organization or other source...do you feel offers the most accurate account of what dreams really are?

We all know that dreams certainly exist. Personally, mine are some of the most incredible, intricate, defying explanation and gravity (e.g. my 'flying" dreams" - in full color and sound...and I am one of the fortunate, who remembers them vividly when I awake. Some of my dreams are repetitive (like re-runs, LOL) and others are brand new (like pilot tv shows). Some movie directors and book authors and sci-fy writers such as: Steven Spielberg, Stephen King, James Cameron would be in awe if they could sit and watch some of my dreams. I don't know if any past threads have already been done on this subject of "Dreams" but I would love to hear some of what you consider to be your best or favorite dreams. I have had my share of bad dreams...please SPARE US those. I hear enough "bad stuff" every day on the NEWS.

I'm on a beach and there is a nice quite strong, yet warm soothing wind. I grab a large white towel and I grasp both end pieces of the towel, behind me, with both hands,...and then I simply run and the wind gets caught in the towel (like it does in a sail on a ship) and up and away I go flying safely above the people below who point up and yell in astonishment!. The feeling of flying is euphoric. TR

YOUR TURN:
You could try searching the old ESMB archive.

There's ordinary dreaming, and then there's lucid dreaming (being aware one is in a dream), and extreme lucid dreaming (which is being awake while the body is asleep, and then, while in that state, doing things.)

This guy wrote about lucid dreaming

Sylvan Muldoon

Even dogs dream. It seems to be something the brain does to relieve pressure, kind of like burping, etc.

Then there is the broader, more adventurous, view of dreaming. Shamans have their own take on it, places such as the Monroe Institute use it as a springboard to Out of the Body Experience, there's Dream Yoga, the Bardo, and- back to Earth - there's old fashioned dream analysis often with a Freudian slant.

D

Deleted member 51

can anybody tell me, what person, group, organization or other source...do you feel offers the most accurate account of what dreams really are? We all know that dreams certainly exist. Personally, mine are some of the most incredible, intricate, defying explanation and gravity (e.g. my 'flying" dreams" - in full color and sound...and I am one of the fortunate, who remembers them vividly when I awake. Some of my dreams are repetitive (like re-runs, LOL) and others are brand new (like pilot tv shows). Some movie directors and book authors and sci-fy writers such as: Steven Spielberg, Stephen King, James Cameron would be in awe if they could sit and watch some of my dreams. I don't know if any past threads have already been done on this subject of "Dreams" but I would love to hear some of what you consider to be your best or favorite dreams. I have had my share of bad dreams...please SPARE US those. I hear enough "bad stuff" every day on the NEWS.

YOUR TURN:
Hello and welcome! :welcome2:

What an interesting thread you’ve started! I like your dream! Do you mind if I have a go at interpretation? I studied it in Psychology classes.

The white towel symbolizes purity and innocence. The beach is a pleasurable, relaxing place for you. The flying free is your desire to return to a state of innocence and purity again, free from all physical encumbrances.

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
1. Most of my dreams seem to be derived from some thought{s} that I had during the day.

2. On very rare occasions I have experienced lucid dreaming.

3. If I were more interested in this topic I would first go to brain neuroscience and then go to psychology after that.

Last edited:

Veda

1. Most of my dreams seem to be derived from some thought{s} that I had during the day.
That would be dreams of the first type: ordinary dreams.

2. On very rare occasions I have experienced lucid dreaming.
That would be dreams of the second type.

There is also a third type. Shamans claim to go there. They consider it to be reality and daily/walking around "waking" consciousness to be a dream (as in the first type).

3. If I were more interested in this topic I would first go to brain neuroscience and then go to psychology after that.

I-amPneuma8

One of my favorite dreams was meeting Mike Tyson. I was walking along the shore of Lake Tahoe and Mike had a big suburban house like you see outside of Phoenix or Las Vegas, i.e. a McMansion. It was on pilings (posts) and sat about 18 inches above the water, which was very smooth and calm. I look over to the forest and it's quiet and a bit hazy with fog. I walk across the walkway and ring the doorbell, big double doors. Mike opens the door with a toothy grin and says in his high squeaky voice, " Hi Chuck, how ya doin?" "I'm all right, Mike." "Hey C'mon in."

So we walk inside and Mike asks me if I want something to drink, water or some orange juice. I say some orange juice would be nice. As we are walking to the kitchen I notice a little section where Mike has Ming Dynasty vases on display. "Gee Mike, I didn't know you collected stuff like this." He smiles and gives me a technical rundown on one of them, full of dates and why it's in Exc. condition and what to look for to verify it's real, etc. etc.

"Mike I'm kinda shocked, people think you're a savage." "Yeah, well that's just my public persona. I'm really a nice guy." We get to the kitchen which is very modern and nice, all the "mod cons" and granite counter tops, in all it's very tastefully done. He opens the big fridge gets out a pitcher and pours me a glass of orange juice. So then Mike says, "Chuck the reason I wanted you to come over is to talk politics."

And we go into deep discussion on some arcane bit of trivia from 20th century political history. He knows his stuff and has a voluminous knowledge of history. This goes on for awhile, it's very pleasant. Then Mike wants to show me something in a book in his library so we walk to this set of carved wooden double doors that go to the ceiling he swings them open and I'm stunned by what's inside.

It looks like the British Library with the huge multi-stacks / stories of books that you walk on a ladder to get to the 2nd and 3rd stories / walkways. The room also has lovely stained glass windows that let in a lot of light near a big desk where you can sit and read. It's hard to describe all the detail.... it's a dream lol. So Mike opens a book to show me a paragraph, it sort of glows as I read the first part and then I wake up.

:roflmao:Actually, that WAS quite detailed. many people do not even remember a fraction of what their dreams are. Apparently, you do. Thank you for sharing yours! :)

I've left a lot of detail out.

I-amPneuma8

You could try searching the old ESMB archive.

There's ordinary dreaming, and then there's lucid dreaming (being aware one is in a dream), and extreme lucid dreaming (which is being awake while the body is asleep, and then, while in that state, doing things.)

This guy wrote about lucid dreaming

Sylvan Muldoon

Even dogs dream. It seems to be something the brain does to relieve pressure, kind of like burping, etc.

Then there is the broader, more adventurous, view of dreaming. Shamans have their own take on it, places such as the Monroe Institute use it as a springboard to Out of the Body Experience, there's Dream Yoga, the Bardo, and- back to Earth - there's old fashioned dream analysis often with a Freudian slant.
Yes, dogs DO dream for sure. It must be why my pit bill yelps and jerks sometimes while she is asleep. I wonder what they dream about? Other dogs...chasing rabbits...eating a steak? LOL Thanks for sharing. TR

I-amPneuma8

Hello and welcome! :welcome2:

What an interesting thread you’ve started! I like your dream! Do you mind if I have a go at interpretation? I studied it in Psychology classes.

The white towel symbolizes purity and innocence. The beach is a pleasurable, relaxing place for you. The flying free is your desire to return to a state of innocence and purity again, free from all physical encumbrances.
I enjoyed your interpretation. The flying dreams are my favorites. I also dream a lot about being in water such as a deep ocean, and/or seeing a huge tsunami wave approaching...other times there are large fish in the dream or I am fishing. And then there are the scary dreams...enemy aircraft in the skies...usually extraterrestrial. How about a dream where you are underwater and you need to breathe but if you do you may drown...but then you breathe anyway...and it's all okay. Or all my teeth falling out! I HATE those dreams as well as being in a city street totally naked...so embarrassing. I am also an author if I didnt already mention it and one of my writings in progress is titled "One Man's Dreams" in which I describe in detail many of the dreams I have had. TR

F.Bullbait

Wise Guy
As to resources about dreaming, certainly Scientology isn’t one of them. LRH dissed dreaming and apparently sleep in general, if one were to take the Scientology staff experience and lack of sleep as an indicator of this attitude. No doubt a symptom of his control freak nature.

There are any number of established forums dedicated to lucid dreaming. You just need to search online.

D

Deleted member 51

I enjoyed your interpretation. The flying dreams are my favorites. I also dream a lot about being in water such as a deep ocean, and/or seeing a huge tsunami wave approaching...other times there are large fish in the dream or I am fishing. And then there are the scary dreams...enemy aircraft in the skies...usually extraterrestrial. How about a dream where you are underwater and you need to breathe but if you do you may drown...but then you breathe anyway...and it's all okay. Or all my teeth falling out! I HATE those dreams as well as being in a city street totally naked...so embarrassing. I am also an author if I didnt already mention it and one of my writings in progress is titled "One Man's Dreams" in which I describe in detail many of the dreams I have had. TR
Good luck with your book!

Most of your dreams seem to be pretty common and therefore covered in psychoanalytic dream interpretation, so you may want to check it out.

In a lot of REM state dreams, however, the item(s) or circumstances are a pun. It’s funny how the mind does that. So, for example, your big fish fishing dream could mean “trying to catch the big fish” to you, like working to gain a big client or job.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
can anybody tell me, what person, group, organization or other source...do you feel offers the most accurate account of what dreams really are?
Neurologists.

Though I'm not gonna pretend like I have the education and knowledge to understand academic papers on the subject. But what knowledge I do have allows me to understand that these guys have the actual research behind them. Not like they solved all the mysteries of the universe, but what little they have is really solid ground for once.

Having said that, it is all pretty dry and entirely uninteresting to a casual reader.

YOUR TURN:

Actually, this is one area where i actually agree with Hubbard. They are just the brain thinking sans driver of the car. They don't really mean all that much, but, I suppose they could. For example, those who dream they are flying, they might be the type of person who dreams about obtaining power. But, since I used to dream a lot where I was flying, like a bird, noting that I"m not particularly concerned with acquiring power, I don't see the veracity in that assessment.

I think flying dreams means one hopes one achieves some kind of spiritual enlightenment, freedom from the horrors of the world, which is precisely what I'm into , as a meditator, a seeker of enlightenment ( as described by sages ). Maybe it's hogwash, but, that's my theory, anyway.