Donald Trump, Cults and Narcissism

Harold#1

VERY STABLE GENIUS!!!
I've admired Kent's work for many years. I hadn't seen this, thanks for bringing it to my attention. He's not a slick bullshitter, so most won't like watching it. Few here will agree with his insights in to Trump's behavior, I think Kent's insights are accurate.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
There is a degree of mental illness on the Left, where many are unable to understand or accept that different people may have different goals and values. As a result of that, they are unable to understand why someone might legitimately disagree with them.

To a Leftist, disagreement with the goals and values of the Left, is necessarily an indication of mental or moral failing.

Here's my bottom line: I see Trump as having delivered on a bunch of things that are important to me. Accordingly, I will continue to vote for him.

Karakorum

The most just, the most merciful, the most ethical
The suspicion that Trump may have NPD makes sense, but its all guesswork. To diagnoze the guy you need to work with him and observe him in a controlled environment.

The thing with Trump (and Hubabrd) is that they are professional politician and showman/guru respectively. Both have to maintain a certain image.
What I am saying: it might be NPD (narcissism), but it might all be an elaborate act for the public.

Harold#1

VERY STABLE GENIUS!!!
Many psychiatrists have diagnosed Trump a malignant narcissist, which is much worse than narcissism. These psychiatrists and many others disagree that you need to work with him and observe him in a controlled environment to make a diagnosis. In any case, all psychiatric diagnoses are subjective or educated guesswork regardless of how they are made. Psychiatrists and Psychologists often disagree with each other on an individual's diagnosis.

Last edited:

Churchill

Dr. Kent is a very decent and knowledgable man, and I thought some of the examples he gave of Trump’s narcissistic behavior were quite valid.
I‘m not sure when this video was made, although I suspect it was around the same time as Steve Hassan was making the rounds on CNN and MSNBC with his “cult of Trump” trope. I understand that half the country still has a visceral hatred for Trump, and I attribute it to 2 things; Trump’s style & his polices.
I sympathize with those who find his style brash, self-absorbed, often imprecise in his use of language, I dislike the ease with which Trump resorts to ad hominem attacks against opponents and critics. I think that Trump is legitimately vulnerable to valid criticism on issues of his unorthodox style of governing.
But, as someone who has long supported a great many of the policies of his administration...policies that long pre-date Trump’s election, I honestly will not hesitate to vote for him again in November.
Most of the people I know can’t stand Trump, Republicans, or Conservatives, and that’s OK. They are entitled to their political views. Very few are mentally ill, and, equally true is that very few of my Conservative friends are mentally ill.

It’s too bad that Dr. Kent”s discussion of the Goldwater rule was cut short; I‘d have liked for him to expound upon it and I’d also be interested in hearing his opinion on the validity of the various phenomena and manifestations of Trump Derangement Syndrome. I suspect TDS is a consequence of the kind of black and white thinking when applied to progressives, but I have no academic credentials to support such an opinion.
Dr. Kent is a very good man, and a highly educated Sociologist, and I understand Steve Hassan is working towards his Doctorate.
I disagree with their conclusions, but that doesn’t make either of us “bad people” “cultists” or “racists.”
The bottom line is this: America has been, and remains deeply divided, and our divisions long pre-date Trump‘s arrival.
I’m old enough to remember a certain Vice Presidential candidate telling his largely African-American audience that a certain milquetoast Republican Presidential candidate was “going to put y’all back in chains.” It wasnt Trump.
Respectfully, I wish that all of us, including Steve Hassan’s Congressional representative, Ayanna Pressley, would remember that demagoguery, like the Wuhan virus, infects the left as well as the right.

Harold#1

VERY STABLE GENIUS!!!
"Thankfully, L. Ron Hubbard and his toxic ideas only ever appealed to a small percentage of the public. Although he had unusual influence over his followers, he spent most of his later years on the run, hiding from process servers and government investigators. He died on January 24, 1986 in a remote California ranch with only a few trusted lieutenants around him. He hadn’t seen his own wife and children in more than six years."

"Enough people recognized Hubbard for what he was that he never got near what he actually wanted — real political power over millions of lives. In 1966, he went to Rhodesia with the thought that he could actually charm his way into taking it over, but was summarily kicked out only a few months later."

"What if Hubbard had taken over a country? What if someone like Hubbard, with no regard for facts, someone with only the barest grasp of the fields he claimed to be expert in — what if someone like that not only was given the seat of power in a small country somewhere, but was actually handed the most powerful political position on the planet?"

"What if?"

Tony Ortega

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
"Thankfully, L. Ron Hubbard and his toxic ideas only ever appealed to a small percentage of the public. Although he had unusual influence over his followers, he spent most of his later years on the run, hiding from process servers and government investigators. He died on January 24, 1986 in a remote California ranch with only a few trusted lieutenants around him. He hadn’t seen his own wife and children in more than six years."

"Enough people recognized Hubbard for what he was that he never got near what he actually wanted — real political power over millions of lives. In 1966, he went to Rhodesia with the thought that he could actually charm his way into taking it over, but was summarily kicked out only a few months later."

"What if Hubbard had taken over a country? What if someone like Hubbard, with no regard for facts, someone with only the barest grasp of the fields he claimed to be expert in — what if someone like that not only was given the seat of power in a small country somewhere, but was actually handed the most powerful political position on the planet?"

"What if?"

Tony Ortega
Kinda be like having this guy in charge I imagine

Chuck J.

Ambassador Plenipotentiary from Bupwupistan
Amin and other dictators usually came up through their countries military's. Hubbard basically had 'bullshit' called on him by various US Navy superiors. So Hubbard didn't even inspire enough confidence to be given increasingly more responsible positions as were Amin and other dictators until they made their takeover plays.

i.e. Hubbard = doesn't play well with others
:)

Aerial

"What if?"

Tony Ortega

Doh!