Christian Scientologist Joy Villa says: "We need John Galt!" Wait, what? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Christian Scientologist Joy Villa says: "We need John Galt!" Wait, what? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screenshot_20210407-072431_1617805707975.png

John Galt is a character in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged (1957). As Wikipedia explains, "he believes in... the rights of individuals to use their minds solely for themselves."

What is extraordinary about Villa's tweet is that she claims to be a Christian. Yet she promotes Ayn Rand, the creator of John Galt and the author of the novel "Atlas Shrugged."

The same Ayn Rand who said in her book "Anthem":

"And now I see the face of god, and I raise this god over the earth, this god whom men have sought since men came into being, this god who will grant them joy and peace and pride. This god, this one word: I."

The same Ayn Rand who told Playboy magazine that her overarching philosophy was that:

"man exists for his own sake, that the pursuit of his own happiness is his highest moral purpose, that he must not sacrifice himself to others, nor sacrifice others to himself.”

The same Ayn Rand who also told Playboy:

"My views on charity are very simple. I do not consider it a major virtue and, above all, I do not consider it a moral duty. * * * What I am fighting is the idea that charity is a moral duty and a primary virtue."

The same Ayn Rand who wrote the nonfiction philosophical book "The Virtue of Selfishness." Does Villa honestly believe that selfishness is a virtue in Christianity?

Compare Rand's teachings with the teaching of Jesus:

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 22:37-40 ESV).

Given the the contrast between Rand, who literally wrote the book "The Virtue of Selfishness," and Jesus' command to "love your neighbor as yourself," it is perhaps not surprising that a recent chronicler, Mark David Henderson, said that Rand "wanted to be known as the greatest enemy to religion that ever lived."

What explains Villa's praise for John Galt is not her purported Christianity, but instead her membership in, and indeed the fact that she is a Patron Meritorious of, the Church of Scientology.

Anyone who seriously studies Scientology soon learns that L. Ron Hubbard's moral and ethical ideas as they pertain to economics are exceedingly similar to (if not copied from) those of Ayn Rand. Such Scientology concepts as the Doctrine of Exchange, not rewarding the down statistic, that charity is harmful to the recipient, and perhaps even disposing of people below 2.0 of the Tone Scale quietly and without sorrow, could have easily appeared in a Rand novel or her book "The Virtue of Selfishness." They certainly couldn't appear in, and indeed directly contradict, the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

/

Last edited:

ISNOINews

This is not the first time that Christian Scientologist Joy Villa has promoted John Galt and Ayn Rand.

On 2/26/21, Villa asked: "Who is John Galt?"

Screenshot_20210407-094132_1617814039483_1617825841138.png

This is a reference to Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged. As Wikipedia explains in more detail, "Although he is not identified by name until the last third of the novel, he is the object of its often-repeated question "Who is John Galt?"

On 12/18/20, Villa earlier said: "We need John Galt!"

Screenshot_20210407-094434_1617814069738_1617825856780.png

And earlier on 12/18/20: "Who is John Galt?"

Screenshot_20210407-125929_1617826147846.png

/

ISNOINews

By way of background, in the Christianity Today story "Ayn Rand Led Me to Christ," Bishop Edward S. Little II explains:

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

As many have noted, Rand's ethic of rational self-interest is incompatible with the gospel, and leads to social as well as spiritual disaster. "Most observers see Rand as a political and economic philosopher," wrote Gary Moore last year in Christianity Today. "I believe that she was first and foremost an anti-Christian philosopher." A six-foot dollar sign wreath towered over her casket, Moore pointed out, an icon of the false gospel she labored to proclaim. I agree entirely that Christianity and Objectivism are utterly incompatible.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

The phrase "wrote Gary Moore" links to:

Ayn Rand: Goddess of the Great Recession

/

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

"We need John Galt!"

Wouldn't a "Christian" Scientologist be more inclined to say: "We need Jesus!"?

Or is it more standard tech to say: "We need Ron!"?

One of those two messiahs is going to be the first to return. But which one?

I guess we'll find out later which savior has the biggest com lag.

Last edited:

ISNOINews

"We need John Galt!"

Wouldn't a "Christian" Scientologist be more inclined to say say: "We need Jesus!"?

Or is it more standard tech to say say: "We need Ron!"?

Christian Scientologist Joy Villa will tweet "We need Jesus!" one day, tweet "We need John Galt!" another day, and either won't know or won't care that the two are inconsistent, and indeed diametrically opposed to one another.

What she does know is that tweeting "We need Jesus!" gets her Retweets, Likes and Twitter followers.

What she does know is that tweeting "We need John Galt!" gets her Retweets, Likes and Twitter followers.

Which is all that she cares about.

Villa is far from the only purported Christian who, either not knowing or not really caring about Christianity, promotes Ayn Rand. She is, to my knowledge, the only purported Christian who promotes both Ayn Rand and Scientology.

Which makes her my business.

/

Last edited:

ISNOINews

"We need John Galt!"

Wouldn't a "Christian" Scientologist be more inclined to say say: "We need Jesus!"?

Or is it more standard tech to say say: "We need Ron!"?

Also, Joy Villa promoting Ayn Rand and John Galt is least surprising thing in the world given her love of Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard. It provides further evidence that her purported Christianity is nothing more than a Scientology "acceptable truth," shore story, and loathsome PR stunt.

/

Last edited:

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
Also, Joy Villa promoting Ayn Rand and John Galt is least surprising thing in the world given her love of Scientology and L. Ron Hubbard. It provides further evidence that her purported Christianity is nothing more than a Scientology "acceptable truth," shore story, and loathsome PR stunt.

/
Christianity is full of bleeding heart radical leftists who think Jesus was a communist and that liberation theology never died.
Christianity is also full of dyed in the wool - "earn tons of cash or die" - rabid libertarians whose goal in life is to die with the largest possible sum on their account.

Christianity is really so vague and so wishy-washy (sorry, had to say it) that anyone can make anything out of it. Put any possible philosophy or economic model and you can just slap that Jesus stciker on it and call it a day.

ISNOINews

ISNOINews

I previously noted that Ayn Rand, Joy Villa's idol (after L. Ron Hubbard), said in her book "Anthem":

"And now I see the face of god, and I raise this god over the earth, this god whom men have sought since men came into being, this god who will grant them joy and peace and pride. This god, this one word: I."

This passage reminds me of the following sentence in the Scientology Prayer for Total Freedom:

"Freedom to use and understand Man’s potential—a potential that is God-given and Godlike."

No true Christian would pray for "a potential that is... Godlike." To pray for Godlike power is do deny the supremacy of God.

To pray for Total Freedom as Scientology defines the term -- freedom without restraint, freedom subject to no sovereign, including the Sovereignty of God -- is not Christian. On the contrary, it is Nietzschean, indeed Satanic.

/

Last edited:

Karakorum

Karakorum

Also
I previously noted that Ayn Rand, Joy Villa's idol (after L. Ron Hubbard), said in her book "Anthem":

This passage reminds me of the following sentence in the Scientology Prayer for Total Freedom:

"Freedom to use and understand Man’s potential—a potential that is God-given and Godlike."

No true Christian would pray for "a potential that is... Godlike." To pray for Godlike power is do deny the supremacy of God.

To pray for Total Freedom as Scientology defines the term -- freedom without restraint, freedom subject to no sovereign, including the Sovereignty of God -- is not Christian. On the contrary, it is Nietzschean, indeed Satanic.

/

You explained how the John Galt idea runs against Villa's professed Christianity and that's "not what Jesus said".

Well, as the Sea Org gator, I feel it is now my duty to explain how the John Galt ideal runs against what Hubbard said and what the SO in specific stands for. I'm gonna use the following 3 images to illustrate the point:

I hope the contrast has been made clear. Ayn Rand's philosophy is never to serve. Scientology is all about service and duty.

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!
The largest donor to Scientology and its wealthiest member once claimed his favorite book was Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Karakorum

The largest donor to Scientology and its wealthiest member once claimed his favorite book was Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Yay another dude who can follow two polar opposite philosophies at the same time. Let me guess, he's also a progressive mormon? :D

That guy is either a moron, or his conceit and ability to self-delude knows no bounds. I suspect the latter, given how much money he was able to earn.

Harold#1

1617916074808.png

excerpts:

Have you wondered whether Ayn Rand (founder of Objectivism) and Ron Hubbard (founder of Scientology) might have been secret soul mates?

There's no evidence they ever met, but their lives, their philosophies, and the impact they have on people's lives are remarkably similar.

Consider:

• Both are now integral parts of the business world; Rand in Finance and Hubbard in Hollywood.
  • Both were hack writers whose prose was truly gawd-awful but managed to write bestsellers.
  • Both propounded a philosophy that turns science into religion and touts reason as a panacea.
  • Both surrounded themselves with cadres of hero worshipers who believed they could do no wrong.
  • Both were elitists who believed their followers to vastly superior to the rest of us mere mortals.
  • Both espoused uprooting of irrational premises while being blind to their own personal irrationalities.
  • Both considered perceptual data (what you see and hear) as objectively real and understandable.
  • Both recommend a years-long course of study, after which you become a enlightened being.
  • Both were against all rule-by-force and assert that rational men have no real conflicts of interest.
  • Both were against government regulations and see government as a force for evil rather than good.
  • Both had severe emotional problems, according to objective biographies written by non-believers.
  • Both were denounced by associates who claimed that their leader actually had feet of clay.
  • People who read Rand or Hubbard, and buy into what they read, become obnoxious and annoying.
All that's needed at this point is for the new Atlas Shrugged movie to be as bad as Battlefield Earth, and it would be an almost perfect match!

Karakorum

• Both considered perceptual data (what you see and hear) as objectively real and understandable.
Hubbard did that? Wow since when?!
Are we still talking about the same guy who believed that everyone living in the MEST universe is living in one big matrix? The same guy who thought body thetans are real?

CBS clearly didn't do their homework.
Also, while I do not consider Rand a hero, she did not run an abusive high-control goup.

D

Deleted member 51

View attachment 10393

John Galt is a character in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged (1957). As Wikipedia explains, "he believes in... the rights of individuals to use their minds solely for themselves."

What is extraordinary about Villa's tweet is that she claims to be a Christian. Yet she promotes Ayn Rand, the creator of John Galt and the author of the novel "Atlas Shrugged."

The same Ayn Rand who said in her book "Anthem":

The same Ayn Rand who told Playboy magazine that her overarching philosophy was that:

"man exists for his own sake, that the pursuit of his own happiness is his highest moral purpose, that he must not sacrifice himself to others, nor sacrifice others to himself.”

The same Ayn Rand who also told Playboy:

"My views on charity are very simple. I do not consider it a major virtue and, above all, I do not consider it a moral duty. * * * What I am fighting is the idea that charity is a moral duty and a primary virtue."

The same Ayn Rand who wrote the nonfiction philosophical book "The Virtue of Selfishness." Does Villa honestly believe that selfishness is a virtue in Christianity?

Compare Rand's teachings with the teaching of Jesus:

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 22:37-40 ESV).

Given the the contrast between Rand, who literally wrote the book "The Virtue of Selfishness," and Jesus' command to "love your neighbor as yourself," it is perhaps not surprising that a recent chronicler, Mark David Henderson, said that Rand "wanted to be known as the greatest enemy to religion that ever lived."

What explains Villa's praise for John Galt is not her purported Christianity, but instead her membership in, and indeed the fact that she is a Patron Meritorious of, the Church of Scientology.

Anyone who seriously studies Scientology soon learns that L. Ron Hubbard's moral and ethical ideas as they pertain to economics are exceedingly similar to (if not copied from) those of Ayn Rand. Such Scientology concepts as the Doctrine of Exchange, not rewarding the down statistic, that charity is harmful to the recipient, and perhaps even disposing of people below 2.0 of the Tone Scale quietly and without sorrow, could have easily appeared in a Rand novel or her book "The Virtue of Selfishness." They certainly couldn't appear in, and indeed directly contradict, the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

/
I think you’re over analyzing. First Joy Villa asks who John Galt is, because she didn’t know. Apparently she never read ‘Atlas Shrugged.’ She’s kind of a ditz.

Harold#1

excerpt:

For forty years, Carl has embraced and advocated the philosophy of Objectivism—the philosophy whose central virtues are rationality (as against any form of mysticism or “just knowing”) and independent thinking (as against secondhandedness or “group think”). During these four decades, he has supported individuals and organizations dedicated to advancing Objectivism, political freedom, and human flourishing. He has funded the Ayn Rand Institute; Cato Institute; Clemson Institute for the Study of Capitalism; Objectivists at Duke University, University of Maryland, Tufts University, and George Mason University; Objectivists and Objectivist organizations throughout Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America; and, indeed, my own work and that of The Objective Standard.

Carl’s substantial contributions to these organizations and individuals have enabled them to advance the principles of reason, individualism, and capitalism much more effectively than they otherwise could have.

Yet Carl has been attacked because, earlier in life, he was involved with Scientology.

ISNOINews

I suggested in the OP that L.Ron Hubbard may have copied his economic ideas from Ayn Rand. While I still think that I was right (i.e., I still think that Hubbard's writings specifically on economics followed those of Rand), perhaps I got it backwards, or the influence was reciprocal.

Nonetheless, the similarity of ideas is recognized in the article below. I think the article understates the case, probably due to lack of familiarity with Hubbard writings and policies.

Ayn Rand and L Ron Hubbard .

Subject: Ayn Rand and L Ron Hubbard

"The Ayn Rand Cult" by Jeff Walker (Peru, Illinois: Open Court Publishing Company, 1999)

ISBN 0-8126-9390-6

Ayn Rand and L Ron Hubbard

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Author, Jeff Walker makes the following connections between Objectivism and L Ron Hubbard/Scientology:

"There have been other Ayn Rands, before and after Ayn Rand. throughout this book I draw attention to the striking parallels between Rand and such figures as Mary Baker Eddy, Edward Bellamy, Count Alfred Korzybski, L Ron Hubbard, Werner Erhardt and Bhagwan Rajneesh. The phenomena she represents are common and recurring ones that say a great deal about the nature of individuals and society." (page 4)

"Most of the star gurus, certainly Reverend Moon, L Ron Hubbard, Rajneesh and Werner Erhard were partly innovative and partly syncretic, all to a significant degree breaking with traditional religion, but all offering doctrines which were amalgams of pre-existing traditions...bits and pieces of Objectivism have been around for ages before her (Rand). Rand's - and Branden's - contribution was to select them, string them together and package them for mass consumption." (page 68)

"For many, Rand's Objectivism was a way station between L Ron Hubbard's Dianetics and Werner Erhard's est...not only has the Objectivist movement been a classic cult as defined in the dictionary, it may arguably be viewed as a destructive psychotherapeutic-religious cult..." (page 98)

"Ayn Rand was not the first to propound an ethics for the masses based on survival as a rational being. That honor goes to fellow novelist and cult leader L Ron Hubbard (1911-1986), the science-fiction writer who founded Dianetics and the Church of Scientology. Dianetics preceded NBI's start-up by eight years and the Objectivist ethics by 11 years. Dianetics groups formed on campuses during the 1950's, much as Ayn Rand clubs would in the 1960's. Many who flocked to Objectivism in the 1960's had previously had some contact with Dianetics or Scientology. Dianetics used reasoning somewhat similar to Rand's about the brain as a machine. Hubbard's 'analytical' versus 'reactive' mind has its equivalent in Rand's system. Both have a higher mind reprogramming the rest of the mind. Hubbard and Rand were both extremely intelligence- and survival oriented, in the interest of a rational man. They counseled the uprooting of irrational premises (or 'engrams'). Both contended that the resulting enhanced rationality leads to greater capacity for healthy emotion. Perceptual data is immaculate for both. Both regard our often being unconscious of incoming data as the real problem. After many years of working at it, the student of Dianetics becomes a 'clear,' while the student of Objectivism becomes a full-fledged Objectivist...Both Dianetics and Objectivist psychology draw fire from the psychiatric establishment. The philosophy of each relates immorality to decreasing one's survival potential. Each claims to be science- and logic-based. Both share a benevolent universe premise...Hubbard and Rand are very much against all rule-by-force. Both assert that rational men have no real conflicts of interest. Each deplores social complexity being wielded as an excuse for introducing government regulations when it is the latter that generates the former in a vicious cycle...Each was lambasted by biographers for serious personality problems. And both figures have been denounced by former associates who claim that the leader had feet of clay and the doctrine is detrimental to its adherent's health.

Because Hubbard and Rand shared a number of quirks and basic ideas, it does not follow that their complete philosophies are essentially similar - that is hardly the case. What we can see is that those basic ideas were circulating within the culture of mid-century America and that both figures exemplify the growth of a cult preaching 'rationality'."

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

/

Karakorum

excerpt:

For forty years, Carl has embraced and advocated the philosophy of Objectivism—the philosophy whose central virtues are rationality (as against any form of mysticism or “just knowing”) and independent thinking (as against secondhandedness or “group think”). During these four decades, he has supported individuals and organizations dedicated to advancing Objectivism, political freedom, and human flourishing. He has funded the Ayn Rand Institute; Cato Institute; Clemson Institute for the Study of Capitalism; Objectivists at Duke University, University of Maryland, Tufts University, and George Mason University; Objectivists and Objectivist organizations throughout Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America; and, indeed, my own work and that of The Objective Standard.

Carl’s substantial contributions to these organizations and individuals have enabled them to advance the principles of reason, individualism, and capitalism much more effectively than they otherwise could have.

Yet Carl has been attacked because, earlier in life, he was involved with Scientology.
The only thing I can say about C.Barney with any confidence after going through his documentation is that he was darn effective. He seems to have ran a tight ship, produced results and outperformed most people in scientology who were doing the same things he was.