"Children of God" -- a pedophile sex cult

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
I've been reading a bit about "Children of God", also known as "The Family", a cult that began in 1968, became worldwide in scope, and seemed far more abusive than the Sea Org.

This is an example of a group that mostly managed to stay under the radar of society.

It was when I was about eight (we didn’t celebrate birthdays, so it’s hard to be sure) that the cult’s ideology shifted in a disturbing new direction – towards sex. A policy of ‘flirty fishing’ was introduced, which meant female cult members had to go out and have sex with men to convert them. In truth, this was prostitution and the cult took the profits. Then, in a disturbing twist, a letter arrived from the Children of God leader, ‘Moses David’, encouraging adults to teach children how to have sex, claiming it was healthy and good. And so the sexual abuse began. I was violated in this way from the age of 12 too many times than I care to remember, but sex was encouraged with children who were far younger.

Lee #28

All I got was a bald headed Buddhist dude....wearing a bad fitting wig, trying to recruit me.....

Where were the cute young girls.....recruiting when I was 18 and 19?

( of course not to make fun of the horror this young girl went thru...)

Last edited:

Xenu Xenu Xenu

I remember them when I was body routing for Scientology. I used to read their literature and it was weird, creepy, and gross as far as I could see. Now I realize that their literature only hinted at what they were about.

Every time I read about some other cult it is as if I am reading about my experience as a cult member. I find myself saying, "Oh, I know they feel.", an awful lot.

Xenu Xenu Xenu

Jeremy Spencer, a guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, got recruited by the Children of God when the band were starting a tour of the US. The band had to hastily make arrangements to get Peter Green to return for that tour only.
I've seen a few YouTube videos of him and he still plays slide guitar a la Elmore James. He even made it to London to play at the Peter Green Tribute concert. One video of him indicated that he was living in Detroit and active in the local music scene but who knows where he is now, and it looks like he is still in the cult. When he was in Fleetwood Mac he already had yearnings to get closer to "God". This was around the same time that Peter Green was "searching". Since the band lived together, it would not surprise me if those two influenced each other to a degree when it came to religion.

After the 'Family' broke us apart | Music | The Guardian

Last edited:

Enthetan

The woman interviewed below says she was trafficked for sex with men starting at the age of 11 (4:50). The group supported itself by begging and prostitution.

An interesting part is at 12:15, where she talks about being sent to a prison camp in the Philippines when she said she wanted to leave. The camp had armed guards who were apparently Philippine military, which makes me wonder just WHO the girls had been trafficked TO...

Enthetan

The more I hear about groups like this, the less the idea of rich and powerful people having an organized system where they have sex with children seems a "wild conspiracy theory".

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..
Jesus Christ.

I always thought of Rose as being rather potty, but I now see a reason for it.

Much more sympathetic now.

Enthetan

Jesus Christ.

I always thought of Rose as being rather potty, but I now see a reason for it.

Much more sympathetic now.
Yes, as hard as it may seem to believe, there are groups out there crazier then Scientology.

Some stuff on Rose McGowan's experiences

I like this quote from her (below) : "Most people from a cult end up in another, and that's what happened to me. If you're doing something that supports a power structure that's not supporting you, guess what? You're in a cult"

That describes Scientology. We were all obligated to support Scientology, with no allowed expectation of getting support in return.

The video also has comments from her about the Hollywood snake-pit.

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..
Yes, as hard as it may seem to believe, there are groups out there crazier then Scientology.

Some stuff on Rose McGowan's experiences

I like this quote from her (below) : "Most people from a cult end up in another, and that's what happened to me. If you're doing something that supports a power structure that's not supporting you, guess what? You're in a cult"

That describes Scientology. We were all obligated to support Scientology, with no allowed expectation of getting support in return.

The video also has comments from her about the Hollywood snake-pit.

As I said, I'm more sympathetic, but she doesn't get a free pass.

I still regard her as a champion of the idiot side of feminism, where she isn't listening to anyone but herself and then judges other women for not doing what she says they should do.

That particular cult is out to do more harm than good in the end and I think she is just like so many others that are into the power plays of it all. She does strike me as being a bit like a bully herself.

Xenu Xenu Xenu

They have a forum or two for ex-members. Took a visit to a couple of them and promised myself I would not read anything. I couldn't resist and from what little I saw I was taken aback by the similarities.

Children Of God Forum - Children Of God Questions & Answers, Discussions (able2know.org)
The Family / Family International / Children of God cult - Arts & Sciences / Religion & Spirituality - Forumosa

The posters there seem to be in agreement that this is a very bad cult. There are some who claim that they never had it really bad but they do say they know about abuses in the cult. There was one person who would not offer much information because they were afraid some of the posters may be plants from the cult.

The cult has changed it's name to The Family and the flirty fishing and creepy recruiting is a thing of the past. They also claim that they have reformed. LOL! Heard that one before.

The Family sends out volunteers to disasters to help out. (If I stay quiet and don't move, I just may not puke.).

The Family / Family International / Children of God cult - Arts & Sciences / Religion & Spirituality - Forumosa

Excerpt from their site:

The Family International in Taiwan has been active on the beautiful Island of Taiwan since 1980. Our goal is to share God’s love, comfort, and joy in a tolerant, inclusive, and practical way. Volunteer projects have included personal counseling and life coaching, family counseling, youth programs and youth clubs, and counseling in juvenile detention centers and prisons. Volunteers have assisted in disaster relief since the 921 earthquake in 1999, and conducted field trips to impoverished areas such as aboriginal communities to distribute food, clothing, and educational materials.
Our members have also hosted seminars and workshops focusing on current topics: parenting, early learning, health, personal development, alleviating stress, and improving quality of life.
https://www.thefamilyinternational.org/en/work/asia-pacific/taiwan/ 30

There are a lot of cults in Taiwan. Like pyramid schemes, the government doesn’t care enough

Front Groups: Category:Fronts - XFamily - Children of God

On the whole, I would say this is a pretty terrible group and I can certainly see why ex-members would need a forum. Some of these people have a lot of healing to get on.

PirateAndBum

Administrator
Staff member
They have a forum or two for ex-members. Took a visit to a couple of them and promised myself I would not read anything. I couldn't resist and from what little I saw I was taken aback by the similarities.

Children Of God Forum - Children Of God Questions & Answers, Discussions (able2know.org)

The posters there seem to be in agreement that this is a very bad cult. There are some who claim that they never had it really bad but they do say they know about abuses in the cult. There was one person who would not offer much information because they were afraid some of the posters may be plants from the cult.

The cult has changed it's name to The Family and the flirty fishing and creepy recruiting is a thing of the past. They also claim that they have reformed. LOL! Heard that one before.

The Family sends out volunteers to disasters to help out. (If I stay quiet and don't move, I just may not puke.).

Excerpt from their site:

https://www.thefamilyinternational.org/en/work/asia-pacific/taiwan/ 30

There are a lot of cults in Taiwan. Like pyramid schemes, the government doesn’t care enough

Front Groups: Category:Fronts - XFamily - Children of God

On the whole, I would say this is a pretty terrible group and I can certainly see why ex-members would need a forum. Some of these people have a lot of healing to get on.
Sounds like they've taken a page from the scilon play-book - Volunteer Ministerism