Chick Corea, Jazz Pianist Who Expanded the Possibilities of the Genre, Dead at 79

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!

Lee #28

Chick had a home in a gated community off Franklin Ave in LA.....not that far from CC. He must have lived there for decades?

This was around 2001..... I knew a guy that did some work for him....and he pointed out the house to me one time.

So....he had a home in Clearwater?

Anyone know about any "behind the scene" pressure toward Scientology Celebs to move to Clearwater?

Was it the convenience for their "upper level" repairs and other services that could not be done in LA?

And those that do move to Clearwater......are they becoming more isolated from people that are not Cult members....that they might have done business with...or just friends...say in the music world....or just going out to eat at a restaurant?

What do they do in Clearwater?

Just as an example....there was a popular Mexican Restaurant in North Hollywood called Cha Cha Cha.....that had Kiristy Ally's private phone number in their reservation book. There are plenty of restaurants in LA that are use to catering to Celebs.....that are regular guests.....

But in Clearwater? I would doubt that. So, what do they do there?

And this brings up that Apartment that Tom Cruise bought. WTF is Tom going to do in that dinky little building?

It really is a small building.....right on the sidewalk....with zero or practically zero set-back.....on two sides.... It is tiny.....and not much glamor or substance to speak off. I think it is only a 6 story building. So much talk in the News about it..... It makes me wonder.

Last edited:

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist
Chick Corea was also a student on the Briefing Course at old ASHO on Temple Street sometime during the 1970s.
He would always sit in the back of the course room. Ha!

Harold#1

A VERY STABLE SUPER GENIUS!!
Chick had a home in a gated community off Franklin Ave in LA.....not that far from CC. He must have lived there for decades?

This was around 2001..... I knew a guy that did some work for him....and he pointed out the house to me one time.

Anyone know about any "behind the scene" pressure toward Scientology Celebs to move to Clearwater?

Was it the convenience for their "upper level" repairs and other services that could not be done in LA?

And those that do move to Clearwater......are they becoming more isolated from people that are not Cult members....that they might have done business with...or just friends...say in the music world....or just going out to eat at a restaurant?

What do they do in Clearwater?

Just as an example....there was a popular Mexican Restaurant in North Hollywood called Cha Cha Cha.....that had Kiristy Ally's private phone number in their reservation book. There are plenty of restaurants in LA that are use to catering to Celebs.....that are regular guests.....

But in Clearwater? I would doubt that. So, what do they do there?

And this brings up that Apartment that Tom Cruise bought. WTF is Tom going to do in that dinky little building?

It really is a small building.....right on the sidewalk....with zero or practically zero set-back.....on two sides.... It is tiny.....and not much glamor or substance to speak off. I think it is only a 6 story building. So much talk in the News about it..... It makes me wonder.
Excerpt:

"Just like her husband, Moran also followed the Church of Scientology. In an earlier interview dated back to 2016, Corea revealed that when the church established its base in Clearwater in the late ‘70s, he made regular visits to the place with Moran."

Actor John Travolta (L) with his wife Kelly Preston and musician Chick Corea (R) with his wife Gayle Moran (Getty Images)

“We kept coming down, and after a while, I was spending weeks down in Clearwater, renting rooms. We rented a house for one year as a trial to live down there in Belleair, right on the water. It was a gorgeous place. And that was when we decided … Look, let’s just get a nice place and settle in.”

from: Meet Chick Coreo's wife: Gayle Moran worked with Grammy-winner in 'The Leprechaun' and 'My Spanish Heart'

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief
Chick Corea was one of the very few celebs I actually had some direct interactions with. The way I recall, he was a soft-spoken, easy-going guy who didn't want to cause any fuss or trouble. Wasn't loud or flashy or pushy like some of the other celebs. He stood out from the crowd in that way.

I never wished him ill.

Isn't Scientology supposed to fix cancer?
Again: maybe it is all confirmation bias from my end, but I have a very strong impression that cancer is the no.1 cause of death in Scientology. It seems to be quite a higher percentage than in the general population.

Karen#1

It has been reported on other sites that Chick Corea left a final statement~~

Chick Corea has left a final statement and reads: “I want to thank all of those along my journey who have helped keep the music fires burning bright. It is my hope that those who have an inkling to play, write, perform or otherwise, do so. If not for yourself then for the rest of us. It’s not only that the world needs more artists, it’s also just a lot of fun. And to my amazing musician friends who have been like family to me as long as I’ve known you: It has been a blessing and an honor learning from and playing with all of you. My mission has always been to bring the joy of creating anywhere I could, and to have done so with all the artists that I admire so dearly–this has been the richness of my life.” Chick Corea

Karen#1

Chick Corea and Gayle Moran had a mansion in Los Feliz in the exclusive Laughlin Park. You would be hard pressed in these days to find a home there for under $5million., usually a lot more.

Back in the day, I heard Chick paid about $1 million for the home (a lot of $$$ in the 1980s.) and sold it for $7 million, Los Feliz properties rose astronomically.

Gayle Moran had LADIES NIGHT every Tuesday evening. Ladies Night meant we all hung out in her huge sauna for a kind of club get together,. females *ONLY*. About 15-20 of us would show up.

Once they sold the Laughlin Park property they moved to Clearwater.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Again: maybe it is all confirmation bias from my end, but I have a very strong impression that cancer is the no.1 cause of death in Scientology. It seems to be quite a higher percentage than in the general population.
You're correct, the cancer rate is high.

There were a few threads in the old site:

My opinion: cancer gets handled when caught EARLY, in regular checkups. It can be detected in standard bloodwork, when women get their mammogram checkups, when you get a colon exam, etc. All standard checks for people who actually go to their doctors.

Scientologists don't go to doctors. At best, they may have a chiropractor they see.

Also, as noted in the threads, long term stress and lack of good sleep are contributing factors, and Scientologists are under stress.

In Chick Corea's case, he was 79. Old people die of something eventually. Our warranties eventually expire.

Karakorum

Ron is the source that will lead you to grief

Nothing. As far as I know, it is a PR thing. They are just using Tom to make scientologists believe in Clearwater. "Hey look, here is Tome cruise and he lives here!"

Really, the cult seems to be just carting Tom out like some prop, moving him from one corner to another like a piece of furniture or a box to impress members.

Tom, have you checked the tone scale recently? Do you recall -10 "Being objects"?

Irayam

I met Chick Corea once in Lausanne, Switzerland.

After a concert, he had kindly agreed to meet the staff of the Scientology Mission at his hotel. He was a nice person, very human and a great musician.

Before I started Scientology, I was (and still am) a big fan of jazz fusion. Finding out that Chick Corea was a Scientologist contributed to my interest in getting on the bridge, but I never blamed Chick.

The last time I saw him was in 2008 in Montreux with the original formation of Return to Forever, a great time!

RIP