Book - Reclaiming My Decade Lost in Scientology: A Memoir, by Sands Hall

ISNOINews

Independent Scientology and Nation of Islam news
Book - Reclaiming My Decade Lost in Scientology: A Memoir, by Sands Hall.

NOTE: Sands Hall's book was previously titled, Flunk. Start. Reclaiming My Decade Lost in Scientology. It is now titled Reclaiming My Decade Lost in Scientology: A Memoir.

For more information, please see this thread on the original ESMB:

New Information:

The most recent essay about Scientology by Sands Hall:

Los Angeles Review of Books: Light a Candle

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Light a Candle

ESSAYS

By Sands Hall

10/13/2019

Julie Christofferson was a devoted Scientologist. But one weekend, while she was visiting her parents, her distraught mother took the doorknobs off the doors, hired a deprogrammer, and didn’t let her daughter out of the house until Julie had been convinced that the Church of Scientology was a con. Christofferson sued the Church, claiming it had misrepresented L. Ron Hubbard’s credentials (that he was a graduate of Princeton, that he’d served in the Navy) and promised things it didn’t deliver (improve her eyesight, raise her intelligence). Above all, she sought restitution for the years she’d devoted to Scientology, which had, she said, derailed her life’s plans. In 1977, she won two million dollars. The Church demanded a retrial. In May of 1985, a Portland jury gave Christofferson-Titchbourne (in the intervening years she’d married) 39 million dollars.

The Scientology lawyers swore she’d never see a penny of it. The organization itself exhorted all Scientologists to immediately travel to Oregon, to protest this attack on religious freedom.

[SNIP]

The paperback of Sands Hall’s memoir Reclaiming My Decade Lost in Scientology will be published by Counterpoint on November 19, 2019.

You can listen to the full-length Light a Candle here.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Last edited: