Beneficial catharsis in Scientology

Marko Ex

I find this thread eerily fascinating...
"Wins" in scientology? For reals??? I don't mean to sound overly snarky, I am genuinely stunned...
Have any of you folks who had "wins" in scientology that you continue to believe in read Hubbard's Affirmations?
Or perhaps read extensively about undue influence and related subjects?

guanoloco

As-Wased
"Wins" in scientology? For reals??? I don't mean to sound overly snarky, I am genuinely stunned...
Have any of you folks who had "wins" in scientology that you continue to believe in read Hubbard's Affirmations?
Hi Marko, are you an ex Scientologist?

Veda

Have you read the thread and its various links?

Here's yet another link to the Talking to new Scientologists thread.

The Destructive Cult machine of Scientology Inc. has more moving parts than you give it credit for. :)

guanoloco

As-Wased
Yes, ex-scienbollockist.

Yeah...me, too.

However, one of the reasons that I stuck around for way too long was because I had long lasting, effective wins that "worked". They're still there today. I also witnessed the same in others.

Whether Hubbard discovered that or was merely the catalyst wherein he drew people together who discovered that the discovery is there.

Hubbard definitely subverted everything to maximize extortion, exploitation and manipulation as he was inherently evil but there were things that kept me "hooked".

I'm thoroughly over that now. I'm not a closet practitioner or seeking solutions with the "tech".

Bill

Link to Scientology exploits catharsis thread.

Collecting instances of beneficial catharsis in Scientology.

Were there any, without follow up manipulation?
Beneficial catharsis...
Well, using the definition of catharsis: The purging of strong emotion, I'd have to say the most beneficial purging was regarding the shame and regret I had on realizing I'd been in a cult for 35 years and working to resolve those emotions as part of my "peeling the onion" on Ask the Scientologist.

Even while a Scientologist, I was ashamed to admit it to anyone not in Scientology. (And with good reason) Now, I am glad to talk over that experience with non-Scientologists as well as ex-Scientologists. (I've even talked about it with a few current Scientologists ... but that didn't go over too well).

The catharsis was in confronting all the factors that led me to joining (and staying in) a cult. Joining made me look gullible, leaving makes me look smarter (and experienced). I now can see more clearly the cults and brainwashing that are so pervasive today.

I do not understand how people can leave Scientology and go right into some other cult or cult-think. Didn't they learn anything?

Veda

The catharsis was in confronting all the factors that led me to joining (and staying in) a cult.

Did anything (in and of itself) good lead to you joining (and staying in) the cult?

Sometimes it's just one thing.

But that's enough for a person to make a "leap of faith," as he or she gazes upon the enormous, looming, Grade Chart.

A warning about the cult, that does not include the possibility of that one thing (whatever it might be), is incomplete.

Bill

Did anything (in and of itself) good lead to you joining (and staying in) the cult?

Sometimes it's just one thing.

But that's enough for a person to make a "leap of faith," as he or she gazes upon the enormous, looming, Grade Chart.

A warning about the cult, that does not include the possibility of that one thing (whatever it might be), is incomplete.
<sigh>
I don't know why you keep picking at this. Yes, there were (early) parts of Scientology that seemed to provide some benefit. So what? That does not make Scientology good. That does not excuse all Hubbard's lies, false promises, greed and abuse. The real important promises of Scientology: Release, Clear and OT are all lies.

Every possible benefit "from Scientology" is easily available elsewhere without the betrayal. There is NOTHING in Scientology that excuses that betrayal. NOTHING.

Veda

<sigh>
I don't know why you keep picking at this. Yes, there were (early) parts of Scientology that seemed to provide some benefit. So what?

You say you were in Scientology for thirty five years. Can you remember the first year?

That does not make Scientology good.
You're missing the point. That's so far from the point that it's not even in the same solar system.

Bill

You're missing the point. That's so far from the point that it's not even in the same solar system.
"Missing the point"? What "point"? You keep harping on this "good parts of Scientology", "beneficial parts of Scientology", "workable parts of Scientology", "parts of Scientology you liked", "Parts of Scientology you still use" ON and ON and ON and ON... :duh:

What is the point? Really, what is your damn point? What are you trying to accomplish?

If this is one of those "Repeat the auditing command until the PC has the required cognition", it isn't working.

Veda

"Missing the point"? What "point"? You keep harping on this "good parts of Scientology"

It only seems that way to you.

Other people have accused me of doing the opposite.

Scientology's greatest protection, besides its religious cloaking, is the inability of many of its most passionate critics to fully describe Scientology. The 0.001% of Scientology that is good is like kryptonite to them.

Even street gangs have 0.001% that is good.

A person cannot be fully warned unless a complete description is provided.

Bill

Scientology's greatest protection, besides its religious cloaking, is the inability of many of its most passionate critics to fully describe Scientology. The 0.001% of Scientology that is good is like kryptonite to them.

What are you trying to do?

If you want to write a "complete description of Scientology",. go ahead, write it. Nobody is stopping you.

But you don't. Instead, you go through your weird, convoluted "what beneficial..." question bullshit. So:

What the hell are you trying to do? What IS your point?

programmer_guy

True ex-Scientologist

So, you are not satisfied with all the anti-scientology books and various internet resources?
Then go ahead and write your own book and offer it to society. It might be a good contribution.
:)

D

Deleted member 51

Sometimes in Scientology sessions, I’d have a good auditor who was a good listener and genuinely cared.

Unfortunately, the tech got in the way so that I could never really talk things out.

When I’d bring up a problem or upset, I was encouraged to talk a bit, but there was no feedback from the auditor. Instead, she or he would give a muzzled “thank you” or similar and look at the e-meter. Instead of discussing the problem or upset and real life remedies, Iwas asked for an “earlier similar problem/ARC break/withhold, etc. It diverted my attention which made me feel better for the moment, but I’d end up back in session again days or weeks later with basically the same upset. Then there were lists and list corrections until I thought I’d go crazy with them. After a while, I had enough of auditing on that. But the problem or upset was still there.

Scientology tech got in the way of simple, straightforward counseling.

Only when I’d been out some years and had the chance to see my college psychologist, who listened and actively interacted with me, did I find out what effective counseling can do. Problems got resolved. Not in one slam-bam session, but by discussing and addressing them with effective techniques I learned from my college psychologist. He was great and helped me a lot. 🤗

I cannot honestly say that Scientology actually helped me with any personal situations through its counseling (auditing). It always diverted my attention away, instead.