Anyone here from Sydney Org 1974-84

blondie

Hi,
I read a post here from a guy who was at the Sydney org the same time as me. I was there from 1974-84. I can't for the life of me find it. He mentioned names which were so familiar, and that he arrived at Central Station as a young man, and was body walked into the Org. some of the names mentioned were Ethel Mackay, Nick Cramey,, Phil Stevens. I would love to catch up with this guy and anyone else that was there during that time. had so many happy hours there with some really dedicated people. St Hill was the same. Magical. When I returned to Sydney in 76 I took up some more study but my ex husband who had blown the Sea Org well before we met, did his conditions to return. I had never had so much crap to put up with on course as at that time. Time revealed he had been out ethics and still was so I eventually moved away and when I returned to the course room in 1984 it was the beginning of the end. I very stupidly let people persuade me to get a loan for New OT 4. Fortunately I was knocked back. A couple of guys had a thing going on where they would get into a 2D relationship and then try and sign you up for services so that they could get the commission to further their own journey across the bridge. Prices were rising by 10% each month, there was a lot of chaos amongst the staff, and to be honest it was a place I no longer wanted to be in or be a part of. so I resigned. Not long after a lot of the best staff auditors around the world were getting sacked and leaving. I had the opportunity to meet one of these people and severed any chance of returning by having them run the New OT 4 . It cost me about $80, and didn't take very long. I think back to how that could have cost me $8000. I was never on staff so have never suffered the atrocities that others did but I did see a lot of things but generally no one complained.Anyway, hope I can find some Sydneysiders.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
Hi @blondie,

Welcome to ESMB Redux.

I did a quick search here to try and find the post you want to find but I couldn't find anything mentioning Phil, Nick or Ethel so I also had a quick look on the old board and found a lot ... I hope you already know that Ethel and Nick have died (as per the post below) and Phyll has also been gone for quite a few years. I hope I'm not telling you something that will upset you.

I've posted a link to the old board for you but you may need to be logged in to read them all so I have pasted one of the main posts (below) that I think may be of interest to you. You can no longer become a new member of the old board because its now archived but you could go there and search it without logging in and you may find much to interest you.

Link to the old board.

:welcome2:

Relevant post (from the old board) that mentions the 3 people you asked about, dated December 29th 2011 posted by Petey C.

Link to full thread.

Hello exthetan, and welcome to the land of wonderful, happy SPs here on ESMB.

I know quite a few of the people you mention in your intro as I was there at the time (though about to go to Flag) but can't quite place you. And as Panda said, there are a number of people here who date back from that time in Sydney.

Mark Whitta and Phyll Stevens are still in the SO (as is Chris Stevens, Phyll's daughter and former CO ANZO). I believe Phyll is in a retirement home in Florida, and Chris is in LA. The former ED Sydney Foundation, Cherie Eves, is at Bridge Publications in LA.

Both Ethel McKay and Nick Cramey died some time ago, as did Colin Gow. And Cherie Eves's husband Mike also died of lung cancer in 2009 in LA after more than a decade on the RPF. And you already know about Alan Wright. Too many deaths, too many people, far too young.

Tell us more of your story!

blondie

Great to hear back, THANK YOU.
I used to be a member of the old board, and posted a few times there over the years. Coming back to it I see there is this new site and I couldnt get the passwords right to log in. So as you see I have reregistered.
Although Ethel put the fear of god in me, she ended up being a really good friend and I did know of her passing. I didn't know about Nick or Colin Gow though, and I don't know what happened to Alan Wright. I know Phyll had a son Steve, who was in a 2D with Jan Hill for a while, who was a great C/S. John Brownlee gave me the majority of my auditing. Cyril Holman was the f/ner after a session. Peter Shead used to give m;e a lift home sometimes. The person I initially read about which my help in identifying him, admitted in the post, to stealing some money and then owning up and doing his penance. He talked about going to Ethels house for auditing etc, I went there too until the church pressure got too much. I used to have an American guy called Kevin who was in charge of the FDN Academy and his wife I think she was called Leah. They were very easy going so the Academy was a good place to be. Martin Bentley was the Class 8 auditor, I remember Mark Whitta, Colm O'Leary, Judee his wife and she travels OZ promoting CCHR or something, Narconon, not wholly sure. She does a gofundme to finance her trips. There were the Pearces from NZ in the SO their son Matthew was the fdn runner after school. Julie Cramey, Nicks Mum, Annabelle his wife. Jim Doone, who was in the room next to me at a house share in St Hill. We'd go for walks every night around East Grinstead after a day of auditing the OT levels. there are so many names I cant think of that if they were said I'd know. David Graham was another course supervisor.

blondie

I was known as Sue Alexander back then, although I have a different surname now. I used to study every evening and all day Saturday from about April 74 to March 76. went to St Hill for 8 months and then came back to study in 77. Another name just came to me PAUL ?, Very eager , on staff. loved the tech. I think I read something sad about him on the old board. omg will I sleep tonight, thinking of names.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
I was known as Sue Alexander back then, although I have a different surname now. I used to study every evening and all day Saturday from about April 74 to March 76. went to St Hill for 8 months and then came back to study in 77. Another name just came to me PAUL ?, Very eager , on staff. loved the tech. I think I read something sad about him on the old board. omg will I sleep tonight, thinking of names.
I think that would be Paul Adams ... yes, he passed away in March 2020 so you may have read about him on this board. I still miss his calming presence.

Link below.

RIP Paul.

Exthetan

Welcome Blondie. I was registered on the old site but had held off registering with the new site until I saw you were reaching out to me. There has been a lot of water under the bridge and it took many years before I could just let go of Scn and enjoy life.

It seems we knew or knew of many of the same people in the old Lee St Org. I can't say that your face is familiar but your name is. I was mostly on Fdn hours. Did you have other family in the Sea Org? I seem to have memories of Sea Org with the name Alexander. Speaking of names, here are a few more I remember from Fdn staff days - Rita McCarthy, David Haswell, Linda Gannon, Mark Boxall, Bart Nettle, Paul School, Lyn Greenslade, Pat Bloomberg, Martin Bentley, there are many more but their names fade with time.

I think the auditors name you are looking for may be Paul Sarkany. In answer to your query, Allen Wright passed away a few years ago in Switzerland from cancer. Martin Bentley passed away also in tragic circumstances. Dinah Steele is not longer with us, died of cancer 15 yrs ago. So many fine people have moved on.

Anyway, over to you.

blondie

So were you the author of the post I was referring to?
I had a really lovely friend and I couldn't remember her name, but you did, Lyn Greenslade. Sarkany is not the name Im looking for. One day it will come to me. I was only ever in the org, weeknights and Saturdays. Linda Gannon I knew, Cyril Holman,, Martin Bently was like 'God' . Lovely deep voice. His wife or ex wife, popped up one day, nice girl, I think she was called Leah, she married another Scio who bought an ice cream van up the Central Coast and they went off into the sunset. Some of those names don't register. I only had my husband at the time who had blown the SO before we met, but he supported me until I arrived back from St Hill. Its good to hear you are enjoying life. I have read lots, I have heard lots , about the atrocities that have happened to staff and its continuation. How it has destroyed people. Up until Ron died despite the hardships, there was a spirit still left in people. After about an absence of 6 years, coming back to the Academy was so different. The whole org, the people. I heard stories from people who drove by Miscavges compound which have now proven to be true about building a ship . like really weird happenings. The behaviour of staff , the desperation for stats. I had no idea how those people were suffering. Was it the RTC? and their barbaric set up. What sick sick minds. Got to look forward and make a better future eh!

Exthetan

Yes I am that guy 😄. Martin Bentley reminded me of a cross between Vincent Price and Lurch from the Adams Family lol 😂. He certainly had presence 👍. You also have mentioned Jim Doone. A real character he was. One night he drove throught kings cross in sydney shouting “HELLO” tone 40 at street people. He said he was raising the tone of the area lol. Do you remember Helen O’Leary (nee grant) who worked in Div 6 with Glen Byrnes? She had a beautiful singing voice but seldom used it. You must know Rosy Vanderwal and her mother Joy. She is the ED of Sydney Org these days I think. If you are in Sydney let me know. Perhaps we can trade stories over coffee. Cheers 🍺

blondie

Rosy, yes I remember her and her mother very well. So you are that naughty boy lol. I used to walk back along the lanes to East Grinstead with jim doing the same or singing. Very funny man. Every night we would walk up to the chicken shop for supper looking olong the road for dropped treasure and sure enough we always found coins on the road. I remember Colm O'leary, was he ever a husband to Helen?
I am in Sydney and will be next Monday and free from 2.30 on so if thats convenient , let me know.I have a monthly appointment top of King St, and then I usually window shop back to Town Hall.

Exthetan

This coming Monday I have a doctors appointment so I may need to wait until the following month when you are back in town. I am in western Sydney. I don't know if this new site has a private mail feature. The old one did. Perhaps one of the other members could enlighten me. If we are able to meet I would rather organise via private mail so the we can can be more specific about time, place, contacts etc. Does that work for you?

blondie

No problem. I'm south west. If yo u scroll down to the bottom of the page where it is black with white writing there are various ways to share. There is no response from the email but the Whatsapp works.

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..
Wow, neighnours! I live north west Sydney.
A name I started out with in NZ was Eddie Hamilton. He joined SO and came over here around 78.
I left not long after, haven't been in touch with the still ins to this day.
Couple of other names were Wayne and Gary Judge.

Exthetan

Good to know Blondie. Im not a user of WhatsApp (I'm a bit of a phillistine LOL). The reason I would prefer to correspond privately is because the Church reads these messages and so if we say to meet at X then they are bound to send someone to spy on us. There is a saying - "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you" LOL. I am very keen yo maintain my anonymity. Anyway, I will give it some thought. There must be a way to contact you privately so we can exchange contact numbers within this forum. Perhaps the moderator of the bulletin board could suggest a way. Nice to make your acquaintance Fixer. Wayne and Gary Judge are names I am familiar with but I think they were part of the Day Org. Paul Schobel is another name I remember as well as Lee Walker. Paul was an auditor and Lee was word clearer.

Cheers

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation.
Good to know Blondie. Im not a user of WhatsApp (I'm a bit of a phillistine LOL). The reason I would prefer to correspond privately is because the Church reads these messages and so if we say to meet at X then they are bound to send someone to spy on us. There is a saying - "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you" LOL. I am very keen yo maintain my anonymity. Anyway, I will give it some thought. There must be a way to contact you privately so we can exchange contact numbers within this forum. Perhaps the moderator of the bulletin board could suggest a way. Nice to make your acquaintance Fixer. Wayne and Gary Judge are names I am familiar with but I think they were part of the Day Org. Paul Schobel is another name I remember as well as Lee Walker. Paul was an auditor and Lee was word clearer.

Cheers
I have just sent you a private message explaining how to do it ... so you can talk to @blondie privately here.

You will see an envelope icon at the top of the screen ... hit that to open my message.

:)

The_Fixer

Bent in all sorts of ways..

Cheers
I think Gary wasn't regarded very highly by some people I knew, similar with Wayne.
But I wasn't part of that history then.
My history was in NZ.

Rock Slam

I used to have an American guy called Kevin who was in charge of the FDN Academy and his wife I think she was called Leah. They were very easy going so the Academy was a good place to be.
They were Kevin and Linnah McPherrin, and, yes, both very nice people.

I was in and out of the place during the mid-to-late '70s and very early '80s and recognise many of the names you've mentioned.

I'm sorry to hear of Nick Cramey's passing. He was a nice bloke and only a few years my senior.

When I decided to leave staff in around '77 I wanted to do so by formally routing off rather than just abruptly blowing. While I was sitting and waiting for an auditor as part of the routing-off check-list Phyl Stevens, who was just passing through the area, came up to me, leaned into my face, and said, "You're a c**t." I immediately went into a spin and was shortly thereafter called in by the auditor, Nick. I remember his concern and compassion during that brief session and his ability to lead me out of my crushed state.

blondie

Yes thats right . Kevin and Linnah. You were very evidently there when I was. Phyl coming up to you and saying that is certainly no way to win friends and influence people. You have to see it for what it was and feel sorry for them in a way. Certainly wouldn't be good for the end of week stats. Nick had a wry sense of humour and was very suited to being an auditor. Did you know his mum Julie?

Rock Slam

I didn't know Julie Cramey but the name does ring a bell. I harbour no animus towards Phyl Stevens, though, she was just playing the role of the fanatical E.D. of a Scientology org who must brook no dissent. The incident shocked me very much at the time, though, particularly as I was deliberately following formal channels so as not to jeopardise further involvement with them. As it turns out I paid off my so-called freeloader's bill and returned for more services. I guess I would've been in and out of the place between '74 and '82, both Day and Fdn. I don't recall a Sue Alexander, though. Some people whose names have not yet been mentioned but whom I recall are Peter Dunne, Peggy Daroesman (?), Sue Cartwright, Ken Nietzsche, Peter Sparshot, Ron Segal, Les Morriset, Jan Ogle, Bill Paul, Diane Crowther. When I decided to sever my involvement with the organisation it was due to the constant harassment and coercion involved in their wanting to upsell services to me before I had completed what I was working on. It got to the point where the reg would be waiting for me after course completion to harass me. It wasn't pleasant for me and it wasn't pleasant for her, and it began to present a major present time problem for me. I also had a few unfortunate encounters with the idiot who was the ethics officer at the time. There had been a few occasions when my day-job required a bit of overtime and this resulted in lateness or non-attendance on course. The ethics officer said the real reason was due to my unwillingness to handle my day-job. (This person ended up blowing not long after.) I never accepted Scientology's claim to be the only valid game in town so it was not a great loss to me to get the hell out of the place for good.