Any ex- ABLE or APS or even SOCO staff here?

Type4_PTS

If you're no longer in scientology or even just indi, it would be nice to re-connect. Was ABLE 1999-2003, and APS before that ✌

I worked for SOCO INT on Wilshire Blvd in LA for a year back around 1987.

It was 100 times better than my experience working in Clearwater (for the SMI INT Expansion Office) or for Boston Org.

I liked not having to wear any uniform! It was a way more relaxed atmosphere than anywhere else I've ever been in Scientology. All the staff I interacted with were friendly towards me, including Frank Zurn, who was the President at the time.

Enthetan

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
SOCO was social coordination?

Isaac

Yes, it was. They were over Narconon, Applied Scholastics, The Way to Happiness,
and were heavily involved in attempting to expand Scientology around the world via it's front groups.
When you were in… were you convinced handing out a 4 cent paper booklet suggesting “ do not murder” and “brush your teeth” actually reduced crime in Columbia or anywhere on Teegeack (planet Earth)?

Did El Ron follow his own tech… “precepts” / advice …after codifying it via scientific research only found in Scientology to free mankind??

Type4_PTS

When you were in… were you convinced handing out a 4 cent paper booklet suggesting “ do not murder” and “brush your teeth” actually reduced crime in Columbia or anywhere on Teegeack (planet Earth)?

Did El Ron follow his own tech… “precepts” / advice …after codifying it via scientific research only found in Scientology to free mankind??

I didn't think much about The Way to Happiness; I heard much more about Applied Scholastics and Narconon. But the President (and Founder) of The Way to Happiness Foundation International who was a really nice guy worked across the hall from me. If you haven't already seen it you can see him on Season 2, Episode 12 of Leah's TV show, Scientology and the Aftermath. Also, in the past, he was a member of ESMB and Redux, but haven't seen him around at all recently.

I believe Leah's show is available on Hulu where they are offering a 30-day free trial. :unsure:

Also, it's available elsewhere. On Amazon you can buy entire seasons or individual episodes for $2 or $3

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
the SMI INT Expansion Office
Scientology Missions International?

what was the situation of the missions, and dealing with it, like at that point?

from what i've found of the missions in the last 10 to 20 years, and going back a bit further, i'd guess that back then mission packages were being sold to people who were never really going to manage to open a mission or who just had it set up in space connected to their real business, or else who tried but couldn't keep a money-losing operation open. the missions that were (or still are) really viable seem to have been the ones that had been established in areas where there were significant concentrations of members. but that's just my attempt to piece together the history.

Enthetan

what was the situation of the missions, and dealing with it, like at that point?

from what i've found of the missions in the last 10 to 20 years, and going back a bit further, i'd guess that back then mission packages were being sold to people who were never really going to manage to open a mission or who just had it set up in space connected to their real business, or else who tried but couldn't keep a money-losing operation open. the missions that were (or still are) really viable seem to have been the ones that had been established in areas where there were significant concentrations of members. but that's just my attempt to piece together the history.
From my recollection, wealthy public who did their upper OT levels at Flag were heavily regged to buy a Mission package. How many actually opened one, I don't know.

Running a mission was a thankless job.

If things went poorly, the mission holder was expected to pay the bills using his own funds, rather than tolerate the mission closing.

If things went (temporarily) well, the mission-holder could get golden-rodded if he dared to take funds out of the mission to pay himself back. I saw one such goldenrod. The issuing authority believed that all mission funds were the property of the mission to be used to pay staff and expand the mission.

Then there was the Int Finance Police going into missions to inspect their books, at an assessed cost of $15K/day.

Type4_PTS

Yeah, it's Scientology Missions International, but it was their expansion office. We didn't have anything to really do with the regular mission network. The purpose of this office was to really expand Scientology into new countries where it didn't yet exist. It was a very small org when I was there, with less than 10 staff.

Reyne Mayer

Pansexual Revolutionary
From my recollection, wealthy public who did their upper OT levels at Flag were heavily regged to buy a Mission package. How many actually opened one, I don't know.
thanks, that generally confirms what i've picked up.

from what i've seen it seems that people with offices, particularly dentists and chiropractors, often ended up with a mission connected to their business, following a standard ruse of giving it a separate street or suite address so it would appear to be separate even though it probably wasn't really -- that accounted for quite a few that lasted until the last decade and a few that still exist. it doesn't look like many who didn't have a start like that must have actually gotten as far as investing in leasing something like a real storefront -- and if they did most seem to have not lasted longer than a year or two that they must have been committed to with their landlord.

The purpose of this office was to really expand Scientology into new countries where it didn't yet exist.
were they having any more luck with that, than with opening actual missions in the US?

Type4_PTS

were they having any more luck with that, than with opening actual missions in the US?

That's a good question but I'm not sure. I wasn't actually working IN the office very much and when I was I wasn't involved with that aspect of their work.

I joined the Sea Org with that organization but then got on the EPF/FRU (Flag Readiness Unit). And I was on the EPF for a very long time. During the time I was on about 90% of the EPF'ers were not progressing on their programs. That is a story in itself. But I was raising hell at Flag because of that situation and I was also trying to help a bunch of people who I felt were being treated badly. I pissed off many of the Execs at Flag in the process. :D

I did eventually graduate from the EPF and got posted into the SMI expansion office. But shortly after that some CMO INT missionaries came into our office claiming I was "underutilized" so they were trying to rip me out of there. They were on a GOLD Man-up mission and I believe they were going to use me as a replacement for someone they were trying to bring to GOLD. I refused to go and a big battle ensued. The CO for SMI INT and WDC SMI were trying to help me but after I blew for several days (so the CMO missionaires couldn't grab me) I ended up on the RPF. After some weeks or months on the RPF I informed them I didn't wish to be in the Sea Org any longer so they SP Declared me.

It was pretty stupid of them to do that because I had every intention at that point to continue working for Scientology. But I'm grateful that they did! :)

Last edited:

Enthetan

from what i've seen it seems that people with offices, particularly dentists and chiropractors, often ended up with a mission connected to their business, following a standard ruse of giving it a separate street or suite address so it would appear to be separate even though it probably wasn't really
From time to time I've had fun with the Scientology Org locator. I would pick an org or mission and call them up and see if anyone answered. Often no answer, or answering machine for a business. Try it yourself

There's something rather sarcastic about your phrasing. :cautious:

Not in a funny Robin Williams or George Carlin or Lewis Black or British comedian kind of way, but in a trolly kind of way ... but since there don't seem to be a lot of ex-SoCo or ABLE people on here (and even though I think you meant your post as unkindness) I'm still going to answer.

Mainly for the sake of others on the site, but also because I think the extreme bifurcation of the cult makes it hard for those in "Area X" to understand what's going on culturally in "Area Y." Hubbard designed it that way so we'd all be 'good little worker robots' and not think through the bigger picture.

Yes
- in the way StarTrek inspires some people to study astronomy or other sciences, or work for NASA. Or watching a great music video might inspire one to start a band.

No(t) - in the sense that it all on its lonesome miraculously got people to become saints overnight, leave gangs (by itself), etc. Most staff believed it was the beginning of helping them (as the cult saying goes) 'getting their ethics in.' The idea was always to follow it up with getting them into the right ABLE program (ex. Criminon if they were criminals, Narconon if they were drug addicts, etc.), or if one didn't exist or they needed something more simple (in scn speak a 'zero gradient') to some other non-psych run charity that did that (police charities, fireman run one's, nursing run groups, one run by the religions of their family, etc.).

That belief always seemed to be held more by public scientologists than those actually 'in the trenches.'

Most of those in the ABLE network or were ex-SoCo (except the occasional underage 'born-in') had experiences working at other charities from their former ethnic/career/spiritual groups or had worked in education. We saw it more as the 'first step in the right direction' that affected bad behaviour but not a permanent/terminated solution.

Did El Ron follow his own tech… “precepts” / advice …after codifying it via scientific research only found in Scientology to free humankind??

Unlikely, given how bad his teeth looked in pictures ... but he was long gone by the time I was in it so in reality I don't know.

Type4_PTS

SOCO was social coordination?

Added to my previous answer, social coordination was part of the Guardian's Office sometime before I worked there. I don't recall when it became a separate entity. Social Coordination (now ABLE) is used to help safepoint an area or country and that's why it was part of the Guardian's Office. (You probably already know this but I wrote it for others who do not) :)