Amended: Archived ESMB Forums are now available.

onceuponatime

Hey Mims, what do you make of The House Of The Dragon?
So far I think it's great, definitely has that Game of Thrones feel to me.

Truthfully I am pissed he spent so much time on this prequel, and the history book, and the other projects, leaving the winds of winter unfinished. :mad:
I want to read /listen to how he ended the series, not that "dog's breakfast" of the last season. Benioff and Weiss were idiots to think they could write on a par with RR. If they had any brains they would have put their egos aside, and hired the best writers around for that last season.
There have been some encouraging posts from him recently, we may get winds soon (for GRRM that means in the next two years). I also really want to see how he ends things. I think the way things end up in season 8 is fine, but the way we get there sucks. The white walkers are supposed to bring the long night, not the half an afternoon that we got.

I am still traumatised LOL. I did rewatch all the seasons recently "in preparation" for HOTD and, I don't know if it's because I am now numbed to it, but I didn't hate Season 8 as much.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not a book reader. I tried but I couldn't for some reason. Now it seems moot because I know (thereabouts) what happens. I'll probably read the new books though. I want to know his alternate ending. I fear he'll die before he gets to it.
I think the books are great, but I don't recommend that anyone reads them until he's done with the series. He's gone on record saying that if he dies the series dies with him. So if you start reading that's a risk you'll have to take, it might never get finished. I definitely want to see what he does differently from the show. As I said, I don't hate how everything thing ends in the show, how we get there sucks. The white walker invasion and the night king is the big baddie of the show, and they get defeated over the course of one episode???

I don't have time to read books myself so I listen to them instead. Many times I find myself having to drive an hour or more to and from work in LA traffic, so listen the them because I am so overrun on the same music, played over and over. If I don't have a book I may listen to a pod cast such as Joe Rogan, or do spanish audio lessons ( pimsleur) Also when I am doing something mindless, like balancing my checkbook I will listen

I dunno if you drive to work, work from home, or what, but listening to audiobooks makes the tedium go away. I download them from the library on my computer, then transfer them to my phone so they don't auto-erase if I pass the deadline to "return" them, and play them in the car on bluetooth through the car's audio system.

I haven't seen ozark, severance, and want to see narcos. I so loved Queen's gambit, what a wonderful film.

RR is so obese, and likely diabetic, I have the same worries. I don't think he has kids, though he is married:

"In the early 1970s, Martin was in a relationship with fellow science fiction/fantasy author Lisa Tuttle, with whom he co-wrote Windhaven.[122]

While attending an East Coast science fiction convention he met his first wife, Gale Burnick; they were married in 1975. The marriage ended in divorce in 1979, without issue, just before they were meant to move to Santa Fe together. Instead he settled there alone from December that same year until September 1981, when what would be his longtime partner Parris McBride moved in with him.[123][124] On February 15, 2011, Martin married McBride during a small ceremony at their Santa Fe home. On August 19, 2011, they held a larger wedding ceremony and reception at Renovation, the 69th World Science Fiction Convention.[125]" wiki

I have no idea what would happen, would Parris release it unfinished? When Michael Crichton passed away they found unpublished works on his computer, and released them, though they weren't of the same quality as his published work. Probably first drafts? When Patrick O'Brian, passed away, they published his unfinished last novel as-is which stopped almost mid sentence. He wrote the series that the movie Master and Commander was based on. I thought that was a more honest approach than hiring another writer to finish it, and carry on the series as happened with Frank Herbert ( Dune) and Stig Lasson (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).

Parris McBride is an American blogger and philanthropist who is best known as the longtime partner and now-wife of celebrated novelist and short-story writer, George R. R. Martin. George is also known as the American Tolkien for his series of epic fantasy novels, 'A Song of Ice and Fire', which has been adapted into the HBO series 'Game of Thrones'. Parris runs a live journal in which she posts interesting details from her life. A philanthropist, she told the fans not to send gifts following their marriage, and instead requested them to direct money towards some charities taking care of animals. Since the 1990s, both she and her husband are strong supporters of the Wild Spirit Wolf Sanctuary in New Mexico, which seeks to rehabilitate wild and domestic-wolf dogs. In 2013, she helped the Pearl Foundation to raise money for scholarships for writing students. She pledged $2.7 million to arts collective, Meow Wolf, in 2015.

Speaking of queen's gambit have you seen Emma. ? She's a fine actress - and she will be starring in the upcoming Furiosa:

Furiosa is an upcoming Australian post-apocalyptic action adventure film directed and co-written by George Miller and stars Anya Taylor-Joy as the titular character Furiosa. It serves as both a spin-off and a prequel to 2015's Mad Max: Fury Road. Wiki

Mimsey
In the past I believe he's gone on record saying that if he dies the series ends with him. But maybe his stance has changed, I think the stuff I'm remembering is before Game Of Thrones blew up.

Ozark and Severance are both great, for a lighter show Ted Lasso was really good.

Emma

A brilliant germ, safe from windmill cancer
Staff member
Speaking of queen's gambit have you seen Emma. ?
Emma is on my "to be watched" list.

Furiosa is an upcoming Australian post-apocalyptic action adventure film directed and co-written by George Miller and stars Anya Taylor-Joy as the titular character Furiosa. It serves as both a spin-off and a prequel to 2015's Mad Max: Fury Road. Wiki
Sounds great. I'll look out for it. She's a great actress.

So far I think it's great, definitely has that Game of Thrones feel to me.
I was really suprised when I went to watch ep 2 yesterday that the GOT theme song has remained. I think they are trying hard to get their old audience back, although they didn't have to try that hard. HOTD was the highest premiering show in HBO history and ep2 had an even bigger audience that ep1. It was surreal to hear that music again knowing that it was a fresh episode and I had no idea what was coming.

htere have been some encouraging posts from him recently, we may get winds soon (for GRRM that means in the next two years). I also really want to see how he ends things. I think the way things end up in season 8 is fine, but the way we get there sucks. The white walkers are supposed to bring the long night, not the half an afternoon that we got.
Totally agree. Upon a re-watch I don't think any other ending would have made sense. There was never going to be a faiy tale ending. GRRM said so many times. But it was so rushed and the writing so bad it just made people angry.

As I said, I don't hate how everything thing ends in the show, how we get there sucks. The white walker invasion and the night king is the big baddie of the show, and they get defeated over the course of one episode???
I know right. And Dany going all mad king over the course of 2 eps when up until that time she had been a liberator. The signs were always there but again, it was very rushed and so it was jarring.

mimsey borogrove

Emma is on my "to be watched" list.

Sounds great. I'll look out for it. She's a great actress.

I was really suprised when I went to watch ep 2 yesterday that the GOT theme song has remained. I think they are trying hard to get their old audience back, although they didn't have to try that hard. HOTD was the highest premiering show in HBO history and ep2 had an even bigger audience that ep1. It was surreal to hear that music again knowing that it was a fresh episode and I had no idea what was coming.

Totally agree. Upon a re-watch I don't think any other ending would have made sense. There was never going to be a faiy tale ending. GRRM said so many times. But it was so rushed and the writing so bad it just made people angry.

I know right. And Dany going all mad king over the course of 2 eps when up until that time she had been a liberator. The signs were always there but again, it was very rushed and so it was jarring.
I thought the whole concept of her going power mad seemed to exist to justify her death was out of character despite frequent foreshadowing. I just don't see Snow killing her.

"However, according to a report in Entertainment Weekly, Kit Harrington revealed on the series finale's Blu-ray/DVD commentary that Jon Snow aka Aegon did not enter the throne room with a pre-planned motive of murdering Danaerys.

According to Entertainment Weekly, one of the many details related to the final episode saw Harrington explain that it was only Daenerys' final statement that condemned her in the very end. The report quoted Harrington as saying, "He doesn't know he's going to betray her until right at the end," adding, "In Jon's head, it's a number of [reasons: Dany] doesn't factor in anyone else's decisions and it also means [Dany] is going to kill my sisters, so it becomes [my] family vs. her."

If you were the show runner, how would you have ended it?

Mimsey

Last edited:

onceuponatime

This is an area where I don't think the show did a great job and why they needed at least couple more seasons to flesh things out. In the show there are some hints she might go mad but not that many and it kind of comes out of nowhere. The books do a much better job at hinting/showing that she could descend into madness and her struggles with it. Book Dany and show Dany end up being quite different characters.

I thought the whole concept of her going power mad seemed to exist to justify her death was out of character despite frequent foreshadowing. I just don't see Snow killing her.

"However, according to a report in Entertainment Weekly, Kit Harrington revealed on the series finale's Blu-ray/DVD commentary that Jon Snow aka Aegon did not enter the throne room with a pre-planned motive of murdering Danaerys.

According to Entertainment Weekly, one of the many details related to the final episode saw Harrington explain that it was only Daenerys' final statement that condemned her in the very end. The report quoted Harrington as saying, "He doesn't know he's going to betray her until right at the end," adding, "In Jon's head, it's a number of [reasons: Dany] doesn't factor in anyone else's decisions and it also means [Dany] is going to kill my sisters, so it becomes [my] family vs. her."

If you were the show runner, how would you have ended it?

Mimsey
The problem is it's too rushed. Her going mad and Jon Snow killing her, I don't really have a problem with that being the ending. The problem is they needed at least two more seasons to properly show her descent into madness and all the other storylines. Also, I wanted more than an episode with the white walkers. I think almost anyone could put together a rough outline of how the show should've ended that would be better than what we got.

On that note, I've heard rumors that HBO is working on a Jon Snow series and that part of that series will be to retcon the ending of GoT, i.e. maybe the real invasion is yet to come or something on those lines. I think HBO knows that GoT is their most valuable property and that the ending was butchered. I'm not really sure what they can do, but I'm sure they'd love to fix the ending if they can figure out a way to do it.

Last edited: